are there changes to dataroot content during upgrade?

are there changes to dataroot content during upgrade?

by Greg Rodenhiser -
Number of replies: 1

I am preparing to upgrade our Moodle from 2.2.2+ to 2.5.  I'm taking advantage to this oppurtunity to also move our Moodle from Red Hat Enterprise 5 to Redhat Enterprise 6.  Our Moodle dataroot is simply an NFS mount from a separate file server.  I'm going to simply dump/copy our mysql database to the new server and run the upgrade on there (leaving the older original Moodle install in tact should things fail)....  My thoughts are to simply mount that same NFS mount to the new server (unmounting it from the older Moodle first).  Obviously I'd shut down the original server so no one can use it, but I plan to keep it in tact should the upgrade fail.  So my question is:

During a Moodle upgrade (from 2.2.2 to 2.5) are changes made to the dataroot directory/files?  We will be doing full backups, but was just wondering if the upgrade were to fail if I could simply turn my older Moodle instance (left in tact) back on pointing back to the same NFS mount. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Greg Rodenhiser

Re: are there changes to dataroot content during upgrade?

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Greg,

Only operational files or folders (like temp, sessions, and such), might change. Course or user content files should not change because the file system will not change, but as you said, be sure to make a full backup (database, moodle installation and moodledata -dataroot).