Anyone for annotated Forum posts?

Anyone for annotated Forum posts?

by Frankie Kam -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Plugin developers

I just installed the Marginalia annotated tool for my Moodle 2.5 production site. It's great for correcting English grammar. Just thought I'd share this with the Moodle community. 
Too see what it's like head over to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3KiCOlB61I0

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frankie Kam

Re: Anyone for annotated Forum posts?

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Frankie,

I am intrigued. Where can I get a copy of this mod?

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Al!

I'm glad you asked! Here you go.
http://moodurian.blogspot.com/2013/07/i-got-marginalia-forum-annotation-tool.html
I'm trying to give more space to the right margin - the section that contains  the annotations. If you know how, please share with me.

Regards
Frankie Kam

In reply to Frankie Kam

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Thanks Frankie,

I realize now, I just did not go far enough down that page when I was looking at it yesterday.

This morning, I tried installing from the source the new release of this, and seemed to get a good install. When I went to go to the Moodle main page, I got nothing but a bunch of debug info.

I then substituted the files from your site, and now have it working. With debug on, I still get a bunch of debug info, but nothing fatal. I will look some more later, but have to go somewhere right now.

I took a quick look at moving the the left margin over like you illustrated in the picture. Using Bonfire, I can do it but have not been able to find WHERE to make the changes in the actual files. I did find that it will probably be in yourmoodle/blocks/marginalia/annotation-styles.php and I think it might be line77. However, I can't see any differences when I change that line, even after purging cache files and using theme developer mode. Maybe it interacts with other parts, I just don't know right now.

I will play with it some more when I have the chance.

Thanks again for the working version,

AL

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Fritz Richter -

to increase the margin go to "moodle_marginalia.php" Line 353 within the function "output_margin" and change "width:15em" to whatever you like.

In reply to Fritz Richter

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Fritz

>to increase the margin go to "moodle_marginalia.php" Line 353 within the function "output_margin" and change
>"width:15em" to whatever you like.
>

Das ist einfach fantastisch! Thanks for supplying the answer. I wish I had speedy answers to problems like these. Many thanks. I am sure the code will be useful to themers and anyone who finds Marginalia marginally or totally cool!

Frankie Kam

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Christine Healey -

HI Frankie - could you tell me whether all students in the forum see your annotations, or just the student who made the post?

In reply to Christine Healey

by Fritz Richter -

the annotations are always part of a post. So if one can see the post, one can see the annotation. A commentator can set his own annotation to "private", but then it becomes useless for correcting student's work. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Fritz Richter

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Fritz

Thanks for replying on my behalf. It's been a while since I dabbled with Marginalia code. I found it really useful especially in my Intensive English classes. It's a really useful tool. The 'problem' was that the more students I had (back then), the more work I gave myself since I ended up correcting their grammar using Marginallia. Which I didn't mind, but it sure ate up a lot of my time doing corrections. The best part was that the students could see my annotations and hence I assumed that they would learn from their mistakes and improve their grammar.

To me, Marginalia is one of those unsung heroes of Moodle mods. Perhaps this is because of the manner in which it is implemented (through hacks) that doesn't make it very 'popular'. If anyone is actively using Marginalia with any measure of success, I would love to hear of it. I am sure Geofrrey Glass would too.

Frankie Kam