Remember Geoffrey Glass' Marginalia? The cool forum annotation tool for Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 2.0? Well, I got it working on my Moodle 2.5+ site. I initially thought that it only worked with Moodle 2.0. I managed to get it to work in Moodle 2.5+ with some sleuthing and tinkering around. I think that it's a great tool for English tutors and teachers as you can annotate text and words within a standard Moodle 2.5 forum! Note: Most of the code is Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Geoffrey Glass and the United Nations.
Figure 1. Hooray! Got it working. Nice annotations with mousehovers!
which is pretty cool, except that when I click the edit or reply button on a post, the TinyMCE editor buttons do not show up, and the upload file's swf animated circle/windmill never stops.
Figure 2. Hmm,I sinhk that somesinhk is not vorking, yah?
I'm attaching the code that I used for my Moodle 2.5+ site. If anyone can help me solve #1 and #2 side effects, I would be eternally grateful.
I intend to blog about Marginalia for Moodle 2.5+ soon, so it would be great if someone or the persons of the Moodle community could help me pinpoint the source code responsible for the side effects.
Installation tips for you
1. First, extract https://code.google.com/p/marginalia/downloads/detail?name=marginalia-demo-20090107.tgz code to your server
2. Next, extract https://code.google.com/p/marginalia/downloads/detail?name=marginalia-m-2.0-b08.tgz code (YourMoodlesite/mod/forum files and YourMoodle/blocks/marginalia files) to your server
3. Then apply the patch (or do the changes yourself manually) of https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17797520/moodle/marginalia_issue_36.patch
4. Lastly apply the patch
5. Goto Site Administration | Notifications to install the marginalia block
6. Create a forum
7. Change the dropdown box to "Shared Annotations" (see Figure 1 above).
8. Have fun!
Download Marginalia code from here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17797520/moodle/marginalia_tool_moodle25.rar
The download RAR file consists of:
(1) Marginalia block with patched code (done for yar!)
(2) /mod/forum code already patched for yar!
(3) /mod/forum original/vanilla/outta the box Moodle 2.5 code in case you mess up your forum code during installation. Just to be on the safe side, yah?
Me signing off now, and thinking that Marginalia for Moodle 2.5+ is one cool plugin for Teachers and lecturers who use Moodle for giving immediate feedback to students' forum work,