Installation help

Picture of Steve Ambro v2.5.1
Restore stops at "Backup/restore.php"

This is a new localhost installation.I can sign in and create a course.

On the school test system I grabbed a backup of my course that I have been developing.  When I perform a restore on my localhost system, everything looks good bur after I hit "Perform Restore" the window goes white and the URL indicates "Backup/Restore.php" and stays there.

When I close the window and go into Moodle, I see "Course Restoration in Process".  Both systems are running 2.5 Moodle.

What might be missing?  Where do I look? Did I miss a step before doing the restore?

Average of ratings: -
Re: Restore stops at "Backup/restore.php"

Hmmm, nobody home or too strange a problem.

What might cause the system to stop installing or cause the system to not see/run the restore.php file?

Picture of Ken Task
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

SOP ... turn on debug.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

And this is done how? (-:

Picture of Helen Foster
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Please see Debugging for details of how to turn debug on.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)

Correction, not "installing", that is import from a backup. The Moodle is installed and otherwise working.

Picture of Ken Task

SOP ... turn on debug - on your local system ... ie, the one having the problem.

Attempt to restore again.  If anything shows from debug, come back to this thread and post findings.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Ok,,, here it is,....

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\axampp\htdocs\moodle\lib\dml\mysqli_native_moodle_database.php on line 1087

(1086)   $this->query_start($sql, $params, SQL_QUERY_INSERT);
(1087)   $result = $this->mysqli->query($rawsql);
(1088)   $id = @$this->mysqli->insert_id; // must be called before query_end() which may insert log into db
(1089)  $this->query_end($result);

It has been suggested that too much is trying to be restored hence, therefore ergo, the timeout.

It is not a large database as it is one course from the School Test Moodle.  It may contain about 100 assignments or so, no students enrolled. (1.2 Meg file size)

I hope this makes sense to someone...

(SOP? For fear of the worst...)

Just found this one...

Picture of Ken Task

Find your localhost php.ini file.  Edit with NotePad (text editor).

Change the variable: max_execution_time = 30 to a higher value.

A Guess: 120.

Restart apache for the changes to take affect.

Then try the restore again - with debug still on.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings:Useful (2)

Interesting, this time, after 5 minutes,  no time out report and it also did not go to that blank screen.  It continued to report "Waiting for LocalHost".  Forgive me but I do not know if it was reporting that before.

Int image previously shown remains the same.

Ok, proceeding with caution,,,

After my last attempt, the course was not reported as being restored and the system was waiting for local host.  I forced exit from Moodle in order to gain  control again.  I checked Moodle for the course and saw nothing new.

Ok, get this,...  I reboot the computer, go into Moodle and the course is restored and working....

Hmmm...
All seems working...

Spoke too soon. Many a Quiz restored but none of my assignments showed up.  This may have something to do with conversion from 2.2 as when I upgraded them in another test set up, many disappeared. Coincidence?

Although there is an option to enable to allow them, they will have to be converted anyway at the risk of disappearing then.

1) Where is that option again?
2) Is this why they may not have shown up?
3) If there is another reason, how are they converted once they do show up?

P.S.  I am now getting to that screen that claims that the restore was successful.

Picture of Ken Task

Unkown if the assignments were actually in the backup, the restore might be reporting the truth.  It restored what it could restore.

One way to know for sure.  Take the backup file used to restore and change the extension to .zip.  Unzip it.  In the extraction, look for an .xml file related to assignments.  Open that file with a text editor (ie, NotePad) and inspect.  If there is nothing related to assignments in the extracted backup of the course, there was nothing to restore.

Check: moodledata/temp/backup/ for .log files.  .log files of larger than 0 byte size might contain clues.  *Might* be notifications of something like 'could not find handler'.

1. ??? What option to do what?  are you referring to the 'Assignment Upgrade Helper'?

2. Guess: the server version 2.5 you took this backup from has not converted Assignments from the old 2.2 to the new mod?  Could your local install not have both Assignment and Assignment 2.2 enabled?

3. Answer: ? not really enough information to go on.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings:Useful (1)