Moodle 2.5 : where is the Settings link?

Moodle 2.5 : where is the Settings link?

by Patricia Dearnaley -
Number of replies: 12

I am completely new to Moodle: I set it up on the server today, and it seems to be working fine, except that:

• I don't appear to have been assigned the administrator role, and I am unable to change my role because
  • the Settings link does not appear anywhere on my page, and definately not in the Administration menu

I gave up on Moodle some years ago because I found it so difficult to manage, but I really need to get a grip of this now. Please help!

Patricia

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Patricia Dearnaley

Re: Moodle 2.5 : where is the Settings link?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello there. What do you actually see in your Administration menu? When you set Moodle up was there a point along the way when you had to set a username and password? Please don't give up on Moodle this time; there are plenty of people around to help you get a gripsmile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Patricia Dearnaley -
Hi Mary, Thanks for coming nack to me. Yes, I set up a user name and password, which I am using to log on. This is what is listed on the admin menu in "My Home": Administration Forum administration Optional subscription Unsubscribe from this forum RSS feed of posts -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Course administration Unenrol me from Using Moodle -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My profile settings Edit profile Change password Security keys Messaging Badges Preferences Backpack settings Activity reports Today's logs All logs Outline report Complete report Statistics

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello there. The links you are referring to there belong to this Moodle -which is not your Moodle but the main Moodle site where we discuss and help people with Moodle.  It isn't for creating courses for students. Have you downloaded Moodle for your own use, from the Downloads drop down at the top of this screen? If so, can you describe the process you went through to get a username and password?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Patricia Dearnaley -

Hello again. I used Microsoft web platform tool to set up Moodle on my work server. I have the local application URL and the passwordsalt (?) and the database name and username and password. I'll try to log onto the server (I'm at home now) and try again.

by Mary Cooch -

Let us know how you get onsmile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Patricia Dearnaley -

I have got as far as downloading Moodle using the Microsoft Web Platform Installer. I get so far, and it identifies the database as root and server as localhost, then it asks me for a password. I have three passwords:

• the password that I use to log onto the server
  • the password for the Moodle account
  • the database password

but it rejects tham all and tells me that it cannot connect to localhost. I don't have any other passwords. angry

Problem installing Moodle with MS Web Platform installer

by Mary Cooch -

Hello again. I don't personally have any experience of this installer so I can't help you but I have changed the subject title of your thread so hopefully someone who has used this can assist. Are you wanting to download Moodle for your own personal practice or to set it up for an establishment? (That makes a big difference as to which package you use for downloading and setting up Moodle)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Problem installing Moodle with MS Web Platform installer

by Patricia Dearnaley -

Hi Mary,

Thank you for your patience. I'm trying to set it up for my small training company, with Small Business Server 2008 and two office based PCs and remote access via remote desktop connection from my laptop.

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Patricia,

I've just read this thread and I'd like to ask you some questions:

1. Is your Moodle installation going to be accessed via Internet or it is just going to be used internally?

Sometimes is better and easier to use a shared hosting provider when one needs to set a Web app online.

2. Is it mandatory to use the "Microsoft Web Platform Installer with Moodle" package, or it was chosen only because it would simplify the Moodle installation?

Complete package installers are usually easy to use, but sometimes they can fail for one reason or another. You must be aware that complete installers are usually best for learning, testing or development, not for production (going alive).

3. If you don't have any particular restrictions about the installer, do you have any about the web server, that is, IIS vs. Apache?

---

You might want to take a look at:

Install Moodle 2.0 on Windows Server 2008/R2 with MySQL, as it explains in a clear manner how to install the Web Platform Installer. The author didn't use the Moodle package from the Web Gallery, but used a Standard Moodle Package (from moodle.org).

* The Windows installation docs.

If you only need your Moodle installation for learning, testing and/or development, you could also try using either of the following:

Windows Moodle Distribution

* BitNami Moodle Stack

Both use the Apache HTTP Server.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Patricia Dearnaley -

Guillermo,

Thanks for your reply. I run a small training company offering outsourced training to social care organisations.

1. eventually, the package will be accessed by the staff of our clients, as part of a wider learning package, so we need to offer web access. I think that once we can be sure of the level of demand, I would have no problem with using a host, but I need to keep down costs until the evaluation period is over.
  2. I chose the web installer package out of ignorance and frustration: as I said earlier, I have tried to set up Moodle several times but always gave up: in the past, I have always found that the instructions were never dumbed down enough for a complete novice. The Microsoft solution seemed much simpler.
  3. I know that we have IIS on our server, so I'll have a look at the article that you recommend.

Thank you!

by Patricia Dearnaley -

Guillermo and Mary,

A huge thank you to both of you: Moodle now up and running!

P

by Guillermo Madero -

Very good to hear that! Just out of curiosity, what or where was the problem and how did you solve it?