Re: Theme using ONLY CSS

by Dirk Herr-Hoyman -
Number of replies: 0
Bingo, Flow is very much what we have in mind for SIMPLE
Actually, I had to pinch myself, this is very close to the static
HTML mockups for SIMPLE done by the same designers that did examples
I was showing earlier.

What we want to do with SCORM SS is to build up the "nodes in a tree"
style course. So far, what Moodle does is either linear (topic or weekly)
or no structure (social). The linear format is a "node in a list", a 1-d construct.

In the SCORM SS you have a set of lessons (nodes) which are connected
by the SS rules (an XML rule set). The rules look at the results from doing a node or
a sub-tree under that node.

Did check with the ADL Colab (in Madison) last week,
there aren't any open source SS engines out there that are better than the ADL reference implementation. That's done in Java and probably won't scale all that well. Still, this could work well enough for low usage scenarios, which would fit our
speech theraphy professional training need. That does mean we'd have to
weave in Axis and fire up the SS engine separately in Tomcat. There to be done within PHP and Apache.

Guess I/we should look at the 1.5 Lesson next...

Oh, a bit more on the SIMPLE project and where we are thinking of going with Moodle. We are looking for a nomadic style of usage for the user. This would run on your desktop. Could run either connected or disconnected to the Internet, that's sometimes called Nomadic.
The students use this from their desktop, including login. It's a stripped down CMS,
only need to do the lessons and send the results off as they are completed. Now, the results get sent only when connected. What this means is you could send the whole darn thing on a DVD. Media rich lessons and the software to run it.
The sending of the data, that we are looking at doing with a Web Service.
The new one from the IMS Tools Interoperability working group, which is only about 2 weeks old smile. This would carry the "results".

So far, what runs on the desktop looks like Moodle. Configured just for this use.
Including the Java WS.
Where do the results go? Well, how about to a Moodle somewhere else.
That's where the instructors would be looking.

Now all we have to do is meet the July demo deadline for our customer big grin