Migration - database error

Migration - database error

by Jason Murray -
Number of replies: 1

Hello everyone and thank you ahead of time for your help.

I am currently running Moodle 2.5 on a Windows 2008 server (32 bit) with IIS and MySQL 5.1. Everything is running fine.  However, my usage has increased and I want to migrate the environment to a 64 bit OS to increase the memory.

I copied the moodledata, wwwroot folder, and MySQL db to a Windows 2008 R2 server running IIS and MySQL 5.6.  I gave every folder the proper permissions.  I restored the database (I had to do this by groups of tables because of the size limitation on phpMyAdmin.  My db was about 200mb).  The server will retain the same IP address and same domain name as the previous server.  When I try view the new Moodle site, I receive the error "Error reading from database" when I'm on the server and from a client machine I receive the error "Service is unavailable".

If I remove the config.php, I can setup a fresh install of Moodle on the new server, but it does not have my data.  When I point the config.php file with the correct credentials to the database with the data, I get the same error as I mentioned previously.  I did a comparison of the database with the one on the old server and they have the same number of tables, so I assume the database is fine.  Is there something that I am missing with the migration?

Thanks again for your help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Murray

Re: Migration - database error

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Jason,

I got lost with the DB process, as you mention that you moved it, but also that you restored it (by groups of tables? A 200 MB database is not that big!).

I would start by taking a look at the MySQL database error file, and I would also enable debugging.

If you have the db dump from the original installation, you could use to restore into the new db (from the fresh install you made).