Moodle 2.3 Extra Credit in Simple Weighted Mean Category aggregation CHANGED after upgrade from 1.9

Moodle 2.3 Extra Credit in Simple Weighted Mean Category aggregation CHANGED after upgrade from 1.9

BB Simon - દ્વારા
Number of replies: 0

Our college recently upgraded from Moodle 1.9 to Moodle 2.3.

I am using a Simple Weighted Mean aggregation for my Exams category

There are 3 Exams each 100 points and a 5-point extra credit manual item in the EXAMS category.  With Moodle 1.9 the average of the 3 exams was calculated and THEN the 5 points was added on. The student was able to earn 105 for this 100-point category.

ex. the average of (70+80+90)= 80  -->    then +5 EC is added -->  gives the student 85

With Moodle 2.3, the 5 points is blended into the average calculation. 

ex. the ave of (70+80+90+5 ) = 81.7   that's it....  the 5 point extra credit translates to 1.7 points added

Here are my questions:

• ANY ideas why the change in aggregation for EC in SWM from 1.9  to 2.3?
  • Am I the only one who noticed this unannounced change?
  • Was there an alert posted anywhere on this site to alert faculty to this hidden change?
  • Are there any OTHER HIDDEN aggregation changes in 2.3 compared to 1.9 ????

I was unable to find any documentation on this!  It is very frustrating to discover this after submitting my grades.  The workaround given by moodlerooms suggests making the extra credit 15 points.  however, sometimes I end up with more than 3 exams, then 15 points would be too low.