Moodle 2.5 don't send notifications emails

Moodle 2.5 don't send notifications emails

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 7

Hello!

A couple of days ago I upgraded the version of moodle in my 2.3.2 server to 2.5.

It's all working perfectly, except for sending email notifications.

Before the upgrade, I did a backup of the database and the directory moodle files. I still have this and is active.

I've done several tests simultaneously with moodle 2.3.2 and version 2.5 and the new version are not sent email messages notifying a user has received a message on the platform. The same happens with task notifications, forums ...

All tests I have done repeating exactly the same steps in both versions. The result is that with the old version notifications are sent without any problems, but with the new version does not send anything.

I enabled debugging email sending in version 2.5, and sending an internal message between two users, the following appears:

Error calling message processor email
line 213 of /lib/messagelib.php: call to debugging()
line 2078 of /message/lib.php: call to message_send()
line 180 of /message/index.php: call to message_post_message()

Finally, I made another installation of the version 2.5, now a clean installation, I created a couple of users to perform the same tests before and the email messages aren't sent. If active moodle debugging also get the same message as before.

The server is a vps in hosteurope.de and features of php and mysql are:

• PHP 5.3.5.
  • Mysql 1.5.69.

I would appreciate any guidance to find out what's going on with the problem of sending emails in this version.

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Moodle 2.5 don't send notifications emails

by Deleted user -

I tried to send a forgotten password email (mysite.com/moodle/login/forgot_password.php) but I receive this error:

Error sending password change confirmation email

More information about this error

Debug info: 
Error code: cannotmailconfirm
Stack trace:
  • line 476 of /lib/setuplib.php: moodle_exception thrown
  • line 158 of /login/forgot_password.php: call to print_error()

I am using php email configuration (leaving blank the smtp field in email configuration settings), and every emails are sent in 2.3.2 and no emails is sent in 2.5. I tried to change with smtp configuration and the same thing occurs. In this case, when moodle 2.5 try to send an email my server remains as froozen. In 2.3.2 smtp configuration works with no problems too:

• smtp.gmail.com:465
  • TLS
  • xxxxx@gmail.com

¿ What's the difference between moodle 2.3 and 2.5 sending email messages?

Any help are much appreciated.

Sergio

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

I have it working, but I do not know why. I deleted the folder lib/phpmailer and have put had the 2.3.2 version. This works, but I find it strange that no one else has had this problem thoughtful

In reply to Deleted user

by Fabio Leite de Araujo -

Amigo sou do Brasil, estou passando pelo mesmo problema que você, já achou alguma solução? se sim, me ajude que eu não sei mais o que faço.

In reply to Deleted user

by Simon Maina -

Hi Sergio,

i got moodle 2.3.9 with the same problem. How did yours work by deleting the folder "phpmailer"?

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

Hi guys.

The steps I followed to fix are:

• Rename the lib/phpmailer (eg phpmailer2.5.2).
  • Create the directory lib/phpmailer and extract the files in it from the same directory of Moodle version 2.3.2.

I'm with the latest version 2.5.2 + and still running without any problems. Moodle send email notifications without any problem: new private message, delivery and calificated activities, restore password, message forum ...

I have attached the files than I am using in a zip file, in case anyone wants to use them. I haven't tested if the current version of the 2.3.x branch will also serve, if anybody wants to try, in the download area of this site you have it available.

Regards

In reply to Deleted user

by Boaz Neeman_Golan -

I am getting the same in 2.6.0.

I tried to delete the lib/phpmailer and upload the original directory from the downloaded moodle package.

I tried to upload the suggested zipped phpmailer from this forum

after each time I restarted the server, and it was not solved.

only after taking the phpmailer from version 2.4.7 and placing it instead of /lib/phpmailer it solved the problem...