Emails - again

Emails - again

by Willie Thomas -
Number of replies: 1

This is an old subject I know and I've tried every solution in the forum pertaining to emails. Nothing is working!!

I'm using Moodle 2.4.3+ (Build: 20130411) with Dynamo theme.

I've gone to plugin>Message outputs>Email

And made the following changes:

SMTP hosts: mail.urban-languages.com:587
SMTP security: none
SMTP username: myname@urban-languages.com
SMTP password: Password for the email address.

The settings I got from my host - They worked in helping me set up 3rd party mail reciever so I know they are correct

The problem is Moodle is showing that the mail has been sent, but no matter how long I wait I never recieve the email and I have no way of tracking down where the problem might be.

I have been working on this for 3 days - any help in put this to rest woud be appreciated.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Willie Thomas

Re: Emails - again

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Complicated topic, but ...

Is your moodle on the same server or in the same domain as the @addy?

sounds like the smtp server setup for you by your host is NOT relaying mail.  Moodle is not a mail server.  It's just like a workstation when it comes to mail - it needs an MTA (mail transfer agent) - so when it is told where to send mail all it knows is what it's been told to do ... if it leaves moodle it reports success but that only means the message has been turned over to true mail servers to deliver the mail.  Anyway to look at the SMTP servers logs to see if mail is stuck in a mailque and can't forward?  If your Moodle server has logs, see if there is a mail log - or ask your provider to check those logs.

'spirit of sharing', Ken