Course category access

Course category access

by Stjohns 12044 -
Number of replies: 7

Hi we are using Moodle 1.9.18+ (Build: 20120612) have a very basic setup in our school on the main page we have 8 classes and we have 8 users setup as "class1" to "class8".

At the moment if class1 logs in they can access any class (category) from the main page and see all the courses, but I want them only to be able to access class1 (same for each class) is this possible?

Thanks in advance

Joe

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stjohns 12044

Re: Course category access

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. If you go to (and sorry if I haven't remembered if completely as I don't have a 1.9 to hand) Site administration>Appearance>My Moodle then if you force users to use My Moodle then once they have logged in they will be directed to a page where they only see their own courses and not others. Would that help?

PS - It isn't a CLEO/BT One Connect Moodle is it? I recognise the version number.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Stjohns 12044 -

Thanks for the reply,

I will try this and give it a go now!

Yes it is CLEO Moodle

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I knew itbig grin I used to be there too!

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Stjohns 12044 -

What you used to use it or work for them?

I must have done something wrong here as whoever I login as has access to all courses even though they are students.

The problem is I'm just the IT Technician so I have no previous experience with Moodle. I might be best off contacting CLEO/Westfield to ask them to have a look.

Joe

by Mary Cooch -

Joe - I can help you here for free or  help you offline for free (just making that clear) I used to teach in Our Lady's High School Preston using CLEO Moodle (who have now  moved away to host their own) and now I help others here on Moodle.  You will get quicker help here than from Westfield! You will probably have assigned all your students via "assign system roles"  Site Admin>Users>Permissions>Assign System Roles as it is a 1.9 site - is that correct? If that is the case then you need to take them all out and then go into each course and assign them in the course manually. If you add students or teachers via "assign system roles"it means that they can get  into every single course -which is not a good idea if you are  a biology teacher having access to a German course (unless you also teach Germansmile) I 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Stjohns 12044 -

Excellent thanks, cant seem to get hold of Westfield (or One2connect) as they are now called for anything. Never get a reply from them.

You are right I have set all the classes as students in assign system roles which is now fixed after removing them! cheers.

Also sorry for the later reply as Im only in St John's on a Friday.

Joe

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Stjohns 12044 -

If I made all courses non enrollable and turned my moodle off so that they get the main page back, then just set each class as a student for each of their sections on the main page. Would that work? It seems to be so far.

I know they will still be able to go into each section and see the courses of other classes but they shouldnt be able to access them should they?

Hopefully that makes sense.

Joe