PPT, PDF, DOC file types uploading issue

PPT, PDF, DOC file types uploading issue

by Faisal Ijaz -
Number of replies: 14

Hi,

I am using moodle 2.5, I am facing problem while upload a power point file, PDF file, word document file types. Moodle says "..... file type cannot be accepted"

Please help.

With gratitude,

FI

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Faisal Ijaz

Re: PPT, PDF, DOC file types uploading issue

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Faisal,
could you post the exact text as well as a screenshot of the error?
It seems that error not being generated by Moodle code.

Matteo

In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

by Faisal Ijaz -

Sir, Thank you for your reply. Hope below screenshot will help you trace the issue.

by Faisal Ijaz -

Sir, I hope you have reviewed the screenshot, any clue, kindly advise.

regards

FI

In reply to Faisal Ijaz

by Christian Herman -

Is it just those file types you are unable to upload?  How about other file types containing text?

In reply to Faisal Ijaz

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Faisal,
sorry for my late reply but spare time is always limited and I've never got that error and that's the reason why first I was wondering if it was returned by Moodle.
I've just found the error thanks to your screenshot where "filetype" is without the blank space in between.

Looking at the code there's no reason for that error since the "Upload" repository accepts any type of file so the question above from Christian is correct: is the same limitation applicable to files other than PPT(X) too?

The only reason I can think about for such a failure is that someone between your browser and your Moodle is changing a value exchanged between the two, accepted_types, which should be equal to *, if present.
You could check what your browser is asking and receiving using the Dev Tools extension of your browser, typically by pressing <F12> before pointing the browser to the upload test.

HTH,
Matteo

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Faisal Ijaz -

Dear Christian and Matteo

Thank you for your reply.

Christian, I have tried to upload different file types but the result is same, however only JPEG is accepted.

Matteo, I have debug and the code is acceptedtypes:[ ], please see attach screen shot.

I have also tried to upload in Chrome and IE8 but not worked.

Please advise

with gratitude,

Faisal

Attachment debug.jpg
In reply to Faisal Ijaz

by Matteo Scaramuccia -

Hi Faisal,
that's the reason of your failure: it should contains * which means everything in terms of file extensions/types.

Why does it appear blank? No idea right now: do you have something in between your browser and your Moodle instance (e.g.: proxy) ?

Matteo

by Faisal Ijaz -

Dear Mr. Matteo,

Thank you for your reply.

For local host the proxy is bypass, however I have also put my system IP address in bypass list. Whereas I have a proxy configured in my system.

I have also installed the same version at my home pc but having same problem.

Please guide.

regards

Faisal

In reply to Faisal Ijaz

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Faisal,

You mention "only JPEG is accepted" and so I'm wondering whether you are attempting to add course summary files (when adding a new course), for which the default allowed file extentions include .jpg?

I'm attaching a screenshot of the setting which can be found in Administration > Site administration > Appearance > Courses.

Attachment courseoverviewfilesext_setting.png
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Faisal Ijaz -

Dear Helen,

Great, its works. Thanks alot, you really have an eye on moodle administration.

With gratitude,

Faisal

In reply to Faisal Ijaz

by Richard Crawford -

We're experiencing the same problem, but only for one of our users. I discovered that the user is using IE8 to browse Moodle; I don't know if that has anything to do with the issue.

In reply to Richard Crawford

by Nigel Pauli -

I've been having a similar problem: attempting to upload a .ppt or .pps file by drag and drop the upload would fail with Error: Serverconnection, error or would just hang if I tried to browse to the file. I've just upgraded to 2.5.1 - first with a copy of the site with a private IP address to make sure the update worked. As part of testing that the upgrade had worked I attempted -  SUCCESSFULLY - to drag and drop a .ppt file - Yippee! I thought, problem solved! So I went ahead and upgraded the real site which has a public IP address. This was successful but when I tried the drag and drop test I got the same old error. However, as the ONLY difference between the two sites was the types of IP address it's got to be something to do with that. In the meantime, however ...

WORK AROUND (for 2.5.1 at least) - I compress the .pps file with Zip, upload the zip file by drop and drag then right click on the uploaded zip file, choose unzip then delete the no longer needed zip file. The .pps file is up there and can be downloaded and opened by students.

Regards, Nigel

In reply to Nigel Pauli

by Farrukh Ilyas -

Hi,

I am having the same issue and it is not even accepting the zip file for me. I have made a category and adding course to it. I am trying to attach a pdf file to the course and it gives the error "PDF document file type cannot be accepted". Is there any solution to this ?

Thanks.