Upgrade 1.9. to 2.5: Some Wiki-Pages are gone

Upgrade 1.9. to 2.5: Some Wiki-Pages are gone

by Monica Franz -
Number of replies: 9

Hi,

see also https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-29220

In large Wikis (a lot of attachements, together aprox. size 230MB) from Moodle 1.9.16 the pages and attachements are gone after Upgrading to 2.5.

Other Wikis from 1.9 are ok!

We have 96 courses using the old Wiki.

How can I solve this problem?

Regards,

Monica

Attachment wiki1.9.JPG
Attachment wiki2.5.JPG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Monica Franz

Re: Upgrade 1.9. to 2.5: Some Wiki-Pages are gone

by Monica Franz -

Hi,

doesn't anybody have an idea what to do?

In reply to Monica Franz

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Monica,

Once the upgraded site is running, have you tried restoring a course with one of the wikis that failed?

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Monica Franz -

Hi Guillermo!

Thank you for answering!

How do I restore one single course from Moodle 1.9 to 2.5 ? I thought moodledata and the db from 1.9 to 2.5 are totally different?

Regards,

Monica

In reply to Monica Franz

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Monica,

It's been some time since I have had to deal with backups & restores (fortunately), but if that hasn't changed, since Moodle 2.1 one can restore a M 1.9 course... I just tried restoring a 1.9 course at the Moodle sandbox and everything went fine. My course didn't have a wiki, however.

Instead of uploading a dot mbz file, you upload a dot zip file. At one moment Moodle will tell you that it will first try to convert the file into the new format and then do the restore. You won't have any problems with this.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Monica Franz -

Hi,

I found the hint of restoring courses from 1.9 to 2.1 using .zip, but restore works without restoring users and userdata, I think that is the problem, the pages in the wiki belong to the teacher and students.

I tried the upgrade now several times and this wiki in this special course doesn't work.

I made a course copy in 1.9 with a smaller wiki (less pages/users). Upgrading to 1.9latest worked fine with the original course and the copy. The copy in the 2.2.10+ has empty topics.

I used cli (non-interactive) for upgrading, what can I try next?

Regards,

Monica

In reply to Monica Franz

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Monica,

Have you verified that the 1.9 backup file actually has the full wiki? If you restore the course backup file with the problematic wiki into a 1.9 test course, would the wiki be completely restored?

I know that there are still many problems when trying to move info from 1.9 into 2.x, being wikis one of them, but it ocurred to me that maybe the original backup file could be incomplete. Just an idea.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by chris dennison -

Hi, If you read the tracker reference MDL 29220 it gives more background.  In my case I restored a backup to another moodle 1.9 and all was intact.  Restoring the same backup to moodle 2.1 left all the user data behind.

We are still using moodle 1.9!

Chris

In reply to chris dennison

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi, yes, but her original problem is that some wikis are not being converted successfully during the upgrade and so we were trying to figure out what could be stopping those wikis from being converted and also to find a work-around. Indeed, you are right about user data not being restored.

by Monica Franz -

Hi,

I've found a new problem with Wiki, some Wiki pages show up in a specific wiki and others don't after upgrading, but restoring to a new course in Moodle 1.9latest works fine, but restoring this same backup-zip-file to Moodle 2.5 doesn't work at all (see screenshot))

This Wiki is a Trainer-Wiki and has no students inserting anything.

Well, after continuing the restore process, it says that no user data is restored and the Trainer-Wiki is empty again.

And just saving and restoring the Wiki itself as the same effect.

Funny is, that this problem doesn't effect all Trainer-Wikis!

I've read the tracker, and think thi problem will not be fixed soon?! That means I haveto tell all trainer using wikis in past have to look at their courses and rewrite the wikis?

By the way not all Wikis with more than 1 page are empty.

Cheers,

Monica

Attachment restore.JPG