Preventing students from changing their ID Number

Preventing students from changing their ID Number

by WALGA eLearning -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I am in the process of linking my moodle site to an external database. Each user will therefore require a unique ID Number for this to work properly. However each student has the ability to edit this ID Number when they click on "edit profile" which would enable them to change their ID Number to that of another student and consequently cause issues.

I cannot see any option in the permissions to disable this option without disabling the entire "edit profile" for student accounts.

Does anyone have any ideas of how this potential issue can be avoided?

Regards,
Tim W

Average of ratings: -
In reply to WALGA eLearning

Re: Preventing students from changing their ID Number

by Dan Poltawski -

Hi Tim,

There is the facility to lock user profile fields. It depends on your authentication plugin, but for manual authentication:

1. Go to Site administration > Plugins > Authentication > Manual accounts
  2. In 'Lock user fields' find 'ID Number'
  3. Change the setting to locked
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dan Poltawski

by WALGA eLearning -

Hi Dan,

Thank you so much for your reply. I have tested the change and it seems to work nicely. I will just have to make sure that this will be the case when students are enrolled via our external database once we have it linked up.

Cheers

In reply to Dan Poltawski

by Doug Moody -

As a related followup to this posting, is there a similarly easy way to lock the password field? I don't want students to have the ability to change their passwords.

In reply to Doug Moody

by WALGA eLearning -

Hi Doug,

You should be able to achieve this by changing the role permission for authenticated user.

Admin > Users > Permissions > Define Roles > Authenticated user
and set changeownpassword to Prohibit

Regards,
Tim W

Average of ratings: Useful (1)