User database table crashed

User database table crashed

by Laine Phillips -
Number of replies: 4

Hi everyone, our college uses moodle 1.9.6, which getting pretty old now, I know. Yesterday our all users got locked out, and when I had someone look into it they said the user database tables had crashed. They have fixed it, but when I just scrolled through the users I found about 20 accounts that were not proper accounts, often with a @outlook.com email address. The most recent activity is yesterday, and I wonder if they are what crashed the site somehow - virus? Hacker? I deleted them all, but more may come.

So, my question is, has anybody else had this happen and is there anything I can do with the version I am using to prevent this issue occurring again? I am guessing that if this is a vulnerability of the version I have, that it is already fixed in the latest version, but I don't know that my boss will pay for it to be upgraded...so am looking at all options before I talk to her.

Thanks for your help.

Laine

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Laine Phillips

Re: User database table crashed

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

'with the version I am using to prevent ...'  Uhhh, I'd say that's kinda like asking how one could secure Windows 95, isn't it?  Probably should upgrade the site to 1.9.19+ at least, but, maybe your site has been highly customized by staff and that's the reason it hasn't been upgraded.

All support for 1.9.x ends Dec. this year. See: http://download.moodle.org/

"One of the last 1.9 formal releases. The 1.9 branch is very old now and is not being improved except for major security fixes. The core Moodle team will keep working on security fixes until December 2013."

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Laine Phillips -

Thanks Ken,

On reading other posts the 2 issues I have may not be related. Lots of people seam to be getting SPAM accounts set up and confirmed, including those with later versions. I have not had any replies yet specifically detailing any user database issues/crashes, so I don't know if it is 1.9.6 issue, a SQL database issue or if something else occurred. Not being an IT person its all guess work at the moment.

Our site has not been upgraded for 2 reasons - we are very small and have no in house IT, so there is the cost for a consultant to consider, and 41.9.6 has met our needs. Any advice on how to chose the best option to upgrade if we do that? I cant make head or tail from all the versions available.

Cheers

Laine

In reply to Laine Phillips

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Understand, but ... all technology/apps must sooner or later move forward.  A response for advice on 'best option' could be lengthy and off target IF your entity ... has no internal IT, has no $'s, has no and on and on etc..

Basically, from a technical side of things, 2.x does more ... requires more thus server needs to have more - memory, CPU's, etc..  Each of those versions listed does have a link to requirements.  No way around it, the 'shopper' has to read!  You do want something that is supported, however, so anything that is not ... discard from your list.

Depending upon the size of your site (how many courses/teachers/students, etc.) one could find 'cheap' Moodle hosting ... SiteGround, for example, offers $4.95 a month ... or used to.  BUT, if your site has many users and is used daily it may not be the best option for you.  It's true what they say ... 'you get what you pay for'!

Maybe some others can jump in here with their take on hosting, etc..

'spirit of sharing', Ken