Gradebook issue

Gradebook issue

by Brandon Porter -
Number of replies: 11

Hello,

I apologize in advance if this has been addressed already.  I did take some time to search the forums, and I also read the Grades FAQ page.  But to no avail...

I am having an issue with the gradebook not calculating grades correctly, or at least I think so.  I feel pretty sure that I set my gradebook up correctly.

I have three categories:  Completion tasks, formative assessments, and summative assessments.  Their weights, respectively, are 10%, 40%, and 50%.  I set these three categories up so that the overall course grade is the parent category, and made each on aggregated using weighted mean.

Here's one particular example for a student:

Completion tasks average:  94%

Formative Assessments average:  76%

Summative Assessments average:  80%

According the grader report, his average is 90% overall.  If I calculate his average based on my percentages, it should be 80%.  Something is wrong.

I have racked my brain trying to figure out what setting I have missed or what I've done wrong.  I am at a loss.

Has anyone experienced this before?  What am I doing wrong, or what setting have I missed?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

In reply to Brandon Porter

Re: Gradebook issue

by Marty Soupcoff -

Do you have a manual calculation that is overriding the default weights you set up? Can you post a picture of your Categories & Items page? This way we may be able to tell if you have any manual calculations, locked grades, etc.

Happy Moodle Logooodling!

In reply to Marty Soupcoff

by Brandon Porter -

There are no manual calculations built in.  Here's a pic of the Categories and Items page (there's a lot there, so I'll put it in more than one pic).  I don't have any thing locked, and all three of my categories are nested under the Course Grade category.

by Bob Puffer -

Please post pic of your grader report with all categories displayed as percentage and also your settings and preferences page.  You might also want to post the full view of your cat and items page.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Brandon Porter -

Here is the grader report (with individual grades minimized).  Is this what you asked for?

Here is the course gradebook settings screenshot:

And here is the screenshot of the Grader Report Preferences:

by Marty Soupcoff -

I second about picture for Full View of Categories and Items page. May have some weird offset, drop the lowest, etc. on. To get there, go to your normal Categories & Items page. Then below the Categories & Items tab (or in the dropdown menu), select Full View.

Categories & Items - Full View screenshot

In reply to Marty Soupcoff

by Brandon Porter -

Ok, here is the full view with all grades included in each category.  Sorry for the small text, I zoomed out to fit it all within the width of the screen.

by Bob Puffer -

Quick look suggests you should not have "Aggregate including subcategories" checked for the course.  The grades are obviously way off.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Brandon Porter -

Thanks Bob, that fixed it!

What a strange thing, if you (or anyone else) has time, can you explain the difference between those settings? It seems to make sense that I would want my aggregate grade based on the subcategories of the course grade.  The subcategories being completion tasks, formative assessments, and summative assessments.

Confusing...

by Bob Puffer -

The use-case for "Aggregate including subcategories" is unclear to me as well.  The gradebook discussions for release 1.95 might shed some light on it, my memory can't.  Nicholas Connault was the lead on developing that gradebook which has not significantly changed since.  IMO it should NEVER be available for the course, because it does what you saw which is to warp the categories' weights.  At one point I made it unavailable to my users but have not reimplemented that hack since using 2.x.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

It would be real nice if there was some intelligible format to find where all these settings are.  I spend so much time only to accidentally find a setting then cannot seem to find it again.  Due to that, I am extremely hesitant to change/try any new setting least I smutch everything up and have to live with it.

Maybe we need a plug-in that brings all settings to one screen.  As it is now, every time I stumble onto an option to turn off a calculated column, I disable it.  I certainly don't need to fuel the argument from the students.

Is there any kind of note pad (plug-in ?) in Moodle for me to take notes and that is available no matter what computer I am using? I rarely find the "Help" screen to explain much.  Good for reminders but they don't seem to be of much use if I have not used the option before.

In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

by Bob Puffer -

My strategy has been to use Chrome (because you can log into it and easily sync between any computer once logged into that one), use the LastPass plugin to maintain complex passwords without having to remember them and to use Evernote, available on all my devices and auto-logged into once I'm in Chrome using LastPass. The Evernotes will follow you everywhere.