General help

The dreaded 403 Forbidden error on mod/book/edit.php

Picture of Christos Patsatzis
The dreaded 403 Forbidden error on mod/book/edit.php

Greetings to all,

On my 2.4.1 moodle, I get the error

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /e-learning/mod/book/edit.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

The problem seems to appear when i try to create text inside TinyMCE which contains more than one paragraph (that is, more than one <p> </p>). The length of text inside one <p> doesn't seem to affect it, neither does the use of the word "set" that many others noticed in similar conditions.

I tried the .htaccess hack, no luck though.

If it is of any help, my moodle is hosted at a linux server, with cpanel and mod_security enabled.

My problem lies (as far as I have noticed) only at book/edit and not in mod/quiz or elsewhere.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot,
Chris

Average of ratings: -
My Hero
Re: The dreaded 403 Forbidden error on mod/book/edit.php
Plugin developers

I'm not sure if this helps, but I occasionally get the exact same error. Every time it happens it is due to a rule in the server's mod_security file.  

I would try this - try to get that error to happen again and contact your hosting company with the time and URL and ask them to check if a mod_security rule was tripped.  If it was, ask them to whitelist the rule.

See this for more information on mod_security: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=95086

Thanks Paul, I guess it also applies to my situation as I checked the file/directory permissions and they are correct.

I will contact my hosting company and update this thread with info.

Chris

Well, Paul you are right.

mod_security was to blame for this error. Hosting company whitelisted the location and everything is normal.

To sum up, if anyone stumbles upon this thread, for unexpected 403 errors in a particular action-location, check out:

1) Your file and directory permissions (644 is fine for files, 755 for directories i think)

and

2) If mod_security has been enabled on your server. You can ask your hosting company about this, and tell them to whitelist a particular location (as Paul correctly suggested). Try also the .htaccess hack but if your server has been configured to not allow the htaccess override, this won't work.

Chris