Upgrading from 2.4 to 2.5

Upgrading from 2.4 to 2.5

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Number of replies: 19

I'm interested in upgrading my personal Moodle websites and helping two other people with their upgrades for free. I was told that it would cost me $150 to upgrade from 2.4 to 2.5 for each Moodle website. We are teachers who use Moodle to supplement our face-to-face and teaching or to teach fully online. Most of our courses are free. We pay a lot of money for hosting the Moodle on a server and for the upkeep of the websites.

Teachers cannot afford to pay a Moodle partner to do the upgrades. Moodle partners charge about $2000 a year upfront. I've spoken with Martin Dougiamas about this. Teachers need help with hosting and with upgrading Moodle. There must be way to support teachers. I hope there will be something in the near future. 

In the meantime, can someone please walk me through the process of upgrading from Moodle 2.4 to 2.5. I managed to intall Moodle on my own but don't seem to be able to go through my cPanel for the upgrade. So, I'm using a cPanel to host the domains. I would appreciate any help you can provide so that we do not have to pay $150 for each upgrade. If you can train me on how to do the upgrades, I would help other teachers for free so they can use Moodle. 

Thank you.

Nellie

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dr. Nellie Deutsch

Re: Upgrading from 2.4 to 2.5

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Nelli,

Essentially, you need to:

1. Backup the Moodle database (MDB), the moodledata directory (MDD) and the Moodle installation directory (MID).
  2. Rename the MID, for example, to "moodle_old".
  3. Uncompress the moodle package; it will create a "moodle" directory.
  4. Copy the config.php file from "moodle_old" into the new "moodle" directory.
  5. Open your browser and go to your Moodle site; this will start the Moodle upgrade process.

Please take a look at the documentation: http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Upgrading, and tell us if you have any questions.

Cheers!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -

Guillermo,

This seems so easy. 

by Guillermo Madero -

Surprisingly enough, it actually is, and eventhough most installation and/or upgrade processes tend to end just fine, once in a while there's a situation where things doesn't run as they should and that's when experience, insight or external help must come in.

After reading your other posts in this thread it seems that your main problem lies in using cPanel itself. Maybe you'd like to watch these cPanel tutorials. Your hosting provider might also have some tutorials available.

Anyway, the tasks required to upgrade Moodle can be done through cPanel:

1. The database and the installation directory can be backed-up via the Backup icon, under the Files section. However, as the moodledata directory is (or should be) outside the root directory (usually "public_html"), for example:

/home/user/moodledata
/home/user/public_html/moodle

then the partial backup process will not include it. In this case one could use the Full Backup option, as this would backup your complete site, along with all the databases and many other things, however, things would get a bit complicated if you actually needed to restore something from that backup.

2. The best option to backup the moodledata directory would be to select the File manager icon (also under the Files section), select the "Home directory" option of the File manager directory selection dialog window, select the moodledata folder and click the Compress icon in the toolbar.

3. Finally, from the File manager window. you can do the remaining tasks:

Rename the Moodle installation directory, upload (Upload icon) and uncompress (Extract icon) the moodle package, and copy (Copy icon) the config.php file into the new "moodle" directory.

Take into account that you can use the Secondary menu (right-click) when working with a file or a folder in the File manager window. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Guillermo

What about all the 3rd party plugins (contributed non-core question types, filters, mods, themes and blocks)? What's your strategy of ensuring, for example, a Moodle 2.5 production site that has multiple contributed plugins, is upgraded to the latest Moodle 2.5.1 with ALL core and non-core plugins installed in the least amount of time?

Mine would be (am answering my own question!) to make a checklist of all subfolders inside my original moodle/theme, moodle/blocks, moodle/mod, moodle/question/type that do not exist inside the new moodle folder. Copy those 'aliens' into the new moodle folder. Then after copying the old config.php to the new moodle folder, run www.mysite.com/moodle/index.php and whisper a little short prayer that the installation runs without a hitch!

Regards
Frankie Kam

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Before you upgrade your production instance of Moodle you should get the latest versions of all your 3rd party plugins that are compatible with the version of Moodle that you're upgrading to.

Then you copy your production site to a test server. You get the 2.5 Moodle codebase and copy it to the test server. Then you copy the 3rd party plugins to that instance of Moodle and then you try the upgrade. If it works you can start testing. If not, you need to resolve the problems first until you're able to do a full upgrade (core + plugins) on the test server.

Only once you're familiar with, and have documented, the upgrade process on your servers should you attempt to upgrade your production server. Attempting to upgrade your production instance of Moodle withot first testing it on a test server is really asking for trouble...

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Frankie,

It is exactly as Luis has already said smile

Before you upgrade your production instance of Moodle you should get the latest versions of all your 3rd party plugins that are compatible with the version of Moodle that you're upgrading to... etc.

When I was in charge of several installations, I used to spend some time keeping a log about the plugins requested to be installed in a particular site. In an Excel book I kept track of the site where the plugin was installed, and the name version and URL of the plugin. When time came to do some upgrade --I tried keeping with the latest versions as much as i could-- this log allowed me, very fast and easily, to go and see if there was a new version available for each plugin.

If a new version was not available, then the course creator would have to see about that and redesign the course to do without that plugin. While it may sound like a lot of work, truth is that course creators usually requested the plugins just to "see if they liked them" and so they usually ended abandoned.

After some time, experience kicked-in and a new policy was established: plugins would only be installed if, and only if, they were absolutely necessary (and they would have to prove that); "magically", my load of work suddenly dropped! smile

by Luis de Vasconcelos -
This is why having a Test/QA copy of your production Moodle site (on a different server) is so important. You can use that test instance to evaluate new plugins. Once your users have decided that a particular plugin is good and they want to use it then you can install it on the main production instance of Moodle. This keeps your production copy of Moodle nice and clean and it reduces the risk of some plugin that you want to evaluate breaking your production site. Testing untried and unproven plugins on your production instance of Moodle is a risky and dangerous thing!
In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Guillermo Madero -

After a while, I ended doing so. As a matter of fact, in an effort to provide the best possible environment, I set up two additional installations, one designed to be a testing playground and in which users could do as they wished because they were given admin roles (now they would not have any excuses for not learning), and the other as a development area. Sadly, users basically ignored them both; yes, they were actually beyond belief, and that's why I had to go in an always stricter set of policies.

by Stephan Sinka -

Why the Rush to upgrade? Moodle 2.4 has many smalller releases  such as Moodle 2.4.4+ (Build: 20130621)

I would personally hold off on 2.5 and stick witht the tried and true, the forum posts seem to be filled with glitches of 2.5

If you search the moodle docs there are countless pages of  detailed "how to upgrade",http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Upgrading

Read & learn! 

Then try it on your PC version or development server 1st to be sure!

Cheers

In reply to Stephan Sinka

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -

I have Moodle 2.5 on a few of my websites and love it. 

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Nellie,

Nice to hear you love Moodle 2.5. smile

What would be a great help would be for you to go through the info in Upgrading, as suggested by Guillermo and Ethan, and let us know if you get stuck on any of the steps, then we can reword the documentation and hopefully improve it for everyone.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -

Thank you, Helen. I have all the domains on my own dedicated server with a cPanel. I would need a step by step process that would include that. Otherwise I'm finding the explanations on the upgrade you shared impossible to follow. 

In reply to Stephan Sinka

by Derek Chirnside -

Ethan!  I feel like Misquoting Mark Twain ("Rumours of my death are exaggerated")  I have used a whole bunch of Moodle 2.5 installs, and things have been fine.  There are always a few little collywobbles possible in an upgrade (server variants, people using plugins that kill part of a site, themes that break etc).

But I have not seen anything to support your 'glitches' assertion Ethan.

Why upgrade?  Drag and drop improvements.  Breadcrumbs fix.  Enhanced updating.  Badges.  etc.

-----

Nellie's post does in my mind raise a few issues.  MP comments aside (Stuart has commented on that).

"Small players" like the situation who want to do it themselves can get into deep water.  For my non-income making Moodles, I've tried running a simple Moodle on Bluehost, and every now and then got into difficulty and needed what I consider gifted/experienced amateur and professional help.  It was often been a nuance in thing A needing Thing B tweaked to work, and often this is in the plugins/addons area, server setup, permissions etc.  I did an upgrade and killed things several times.  I took to doing upgrades several times as practice since if you do it once in a blue moon, you forget.  I now keep detailed records of what I do since I forget.

Plugins are the problems I still have.  If you don't bother with a carefully selected plugins you have a less than useful Moodle install. In the end for my small sites I've gone with a halfway house solution.  I do pay for upgrades.  I sell teaching to pay for these.  I decided even with my best efforts I'd still never be adequate in the long term as a Moodle system admin.

Another option was to get help from a student who was really good.  Time moved on and person X gets a real job and problem re-emerges.

I tried an "uber Moodle" with a number of small players there in the mix sharing one server.  Problems with branding needs, security of students, and then one person needs one plugin we really couldn't sort.  Also problems with Administrators.  Moodle could be tweaked to make this more of an option.

I've tried to work with several New Zealand groups to get coalitions to plan a nice Moodle install and replicate it (School sector, polytech sector, non-profit).  ie all the testing phase between upgrades is only done once.  My latest playground has had several odd projects in it, and then they all bar two moved on to their own Moodle.

The Moodle in Schools project has had promise http://www.moodleinschools.org.nz/ but for a range of reasons has stalled. The big thing this did was help with authentication.   CLAMP is another, but is only open to a small specific group.  http://www.clamp-it.org/

The best option has been a few of the regional cross-school initiatives where system level admin has been with a person who is very experienced but actually has a day job as well.  So when there is work or an upgrade is is done professionally and well.  And in between times no-one is worried how they will make a living.  This is the low marginal cost option.  Moodle is hung off other activities.

I've visited four institutions in NZ where a local guy runs a network and does the Moodle on the side.  In these cases, plugin requests, changes are very quick, and it's worked out well.  The staff do not know how lucky they are.

I'm sad the Moodle network/hub development has slowed a little, one multisite install would be good.  I think the upgrade paths and becoming smoother.  We have yet to see how the user-download addons will impact.  Plugins are still a challenge.  The real future is with using GIT for quick and speedy ugrades.

There are many gifted amateurs who post on Moodle.  One at random: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=229837#p998007

If I had to make a decision without an ideal scenario, where I really wanted to "do it myself" I'd do what these guys do.  It will be a challenging haul. it will involve reading docs, getting your head around jargon, and being very accurate.  Rough enough is not good enough when you are typing -gt *erg /f/h/k -jk.  And I'd try to find a person to help when I get stuck.

Much longer a post than  expected.  I'm sitting in a coffee bar in Clapham Common run by guys who learned to make coffee in New Zealand, and it's been the only place I have seen here in London that had a Long Black on he list.  Joy.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -

I would love to watch a video on how to upgrade Moodle from say 2.4 to 2.5. Stuart, you've made so many wonderful videos, why not create one or two for Moodle upgrades. 

by Stuart Mealor -

Yes, we provide a large number of the movies fom our MoodleBites courses to the HRDNZMoodlePartner YouTube channel smile   In terms of updating Moodle though we deal with that via Lessons within the Administrators course - because there are a number of quite different approaches - using .zip/.tar download, using git (and until recently using cvs).

I've started a Forum post elsewhere about the poor documentation regarding git for a typical Moodle admin, but for a simple upgrade (using .zip/.tar file) upgrading Moodle is pretty easy these days - just follow the Moodle Docs smile

PS - I wouldn't advise that you start offering training to other Teachers on how to upgrade Moodle any time soon if you are struggling with this now yourself - there are so many different factors (e.g. Windows / Linux as the platform, etc.) and it takes a lot of varied experience to guide others in this area.

Stu

In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -

Stu, I want the training myself so I can help others for free. We are talking about teachers not organizations. 

by Stuart Mealor -

"Teachers cannot afford to pay a Moodle partner to do the upgrades. Moodle partners charge about $2000 a year upfront."

I don't think you should write something like that, because it's not true.
We are a Moodle Partner, and we don't charge anything to update a standard Moodle site for our hosting clients.  And we don't charge upfront either. My guess would be that most Moodle Partners charge when work is complete.

In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -

Sorry it's $229 and not $150 per ungrade and yes, I paid over $2000 for a Moodle partner and yes, time ran out and yes, I had to take a loan from the bank for that and yes, it's a lot of money and yes, teachers cannot afford it especially teachers like me who give free Moodle MOOCs. So, putting everything aside, I now want to  create free courses for teachers so they can afford to use Moodle. I just want help in learning how to upgrade from 2.4 to 2.5 on a complicated cPanel with lots of Moodle installations on each domain that makes things a bit complicated.