General help

Roadblocks getting started with 2.5

Picture of John Staubitz
Roadblocks getting started with 2.5

Hi!

I am totally new to Moodle and have installed version 2.5 for Windows. I have searched this forum and read several of the wikis, and am still struggling to figure out how to assign roles or create categories or courses. I can't find any of the buttons or data paths in the Wiki explanations. When I click on "Courses," there is no "add course" button. I cannot locate a "permissions" or "administration" button with which to designate myself a "teacher or manager." Am I in the wrong part of the site?

Thanks,

John

Average of ratings: -
Picture of jason everling
Re: Roadblocks getting started with 2.5
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

If you are logged in as the "admin" then you can navigate to Site Administration > Courses > Add/Edit Courses . From there you will have the option to create the categories and courses.

Permissions and Roles are in Site Administration > Users > Accounts , Also Site Administration > Users > Permissions

Jason

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Picture of John Staubitz

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your reply. I thought that I was logging in as an administrator, but because I am not seeing any of the paths or buttons you mentioned, I am wondering if I am not logged in as admin.

I recall logging in the first time that it was designating me as admin, and the default username as such was "admin." When I changed this name to "jstaubitz" before saving my input, did I change my status from an administrator to something else? 

I'll see if I can create an "admin" login.

Picture of Christian Herman

At the top right of the screen it will say who you are logged in as.

In the Administration block, do you not have a menu for Site Administration?

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of John Staubitz

I was not able to create a new account with the username "admin."

Picture of John Staubitz

Hi Christian,

I see where I am logged in under my name, not admin, and as such I don't see an administration box.

To clarify, you don't have the Administration block, or in the Administration block there is no Site Administration menu?

Picture of John Staubitz

I don't have the Administration block. I am trying to re-install right now. Once installation is done, hopefully I'll get a second chance at setting up an admin log-in. I think that something went wrong on my initial installation.

Picture of John Staubitz

Made two attempts at re-installing Moodle 2.5 + for Windows, and it would not complete. The .zip would download, I would work on extracting the files, and extraction would freeze with less than 3 minutes left each time. I tried to delete the previous Moodle file folder, but was blocked with messages telling me they were already in use.

Just delete your config.php file.  It will prompt the Moodle setup afresh.

Also, as far as deleting the previous Moodle folder, did you stop the servers before trying to delete?