General help

Picture of Rama Gundabhat
Email Subject

We recently set up a new Moodle 2.3 system. Is there a way in 2.3 to change the subject of the email sent to participants. By default it says "new message from xxxxx"

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Ken Task
Re: Email Subject
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Look in [moodlecodedirectory]/lang/en/message.php

line 141 says: $string['unreadnewmessage'] = 'New message from {$a}';

One can find any phrase while in [moodlecodedirectory]/lang/en/ via

fgrep 'New message from' *

'spirit of sharing', Ken

As as test I changed it to $string['unreadnewmessage'] = 'New message from TEST$a}';

But "Test"is not reflected in the subject of new mail. I restarted the apache too.  What am I doing wrong.

Picture of Ken Task

Uhhh, the $a variable has to be enclosed by {}.  Should be no need to restart apache but consider purging cache ... dunno if that's an item cached or not.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

I typed it wrong here. It actaully had { like below.

$string['unreadnewmessage'] = 'New message from test {$a}';

It seems 1.9 used to give an option to modify the subject while sending emails to participants but 2.3 does not. So our course coordinator is looking for a way to change the subject. Is there a work around

Picture of Ken Task

I really can't find any form, etc. in the Moodle 2.3.x UI for changing such ... but maybe I missed it.  But ... that's 'unreadnewmessage' which suggest it's related to IM.  So your change may not have been reflected unless interacting with IM. 

new message im

That's not the same as 'sending emails', is it?  Maybe the course coordinator is not making herself clear ... are we talking about the subject line of a forum posting?  And, if found, what would she like it to say?

Might have to purge the cache AND run cron to see your changes, but the changes made to the file mentioned, does show the changes ... in the popup window when first logging on and in the EMail message subject line when cron sends the message.

EMail

Once found and changed, the next upgrade to Moodle will wipe that out, BTW.  So if you change ... keep notes on what and where to be able to re-adjust after updating.

If using git to update, wonder if one could include the change in your local copy thus prevent from having to find and re-edit again?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

I just sent an test email to you. This subject of that email would say "new message from Rama". Our course corodinator want to be able to change this subject of the email.

If it takes a lot to change the code then I dont think it makes to mess with it.

Picture of Torsten Händler

I create an separate input field for this an put it in the email and it works fine for me.

I changef some code in different files but it work and all is good :D

you can write your own subject but if you leave it blank it send the default subject 

If you want to know how to do, send me a message

Picture of jason steer

How do you do this?

I want to be able to send email to participants, but I need the subject changed to "Academy Newsletter" or something like that.

Many thanks

Picture of Torsten Händler

Write me a message I will explain it.

My Solution is an extra subject line at the participants message form. If you leave the subject line blank, the defaul subject is send by mail. If you write a subject, the new subject send by mail.