Installation help

Me
Enrollment using M2.5

There seems to be no way to activate anyone besides an admin from entering a 2.5 Moodle.

Also, the left-hand control panel is unstable because entire blocks of commands disappear and don't come back as you select various items. No matter how much I read and click, the new user log-in NEVER has appeared once. Admin works. Guests doesn't work.

The documentation describes old and sometimes very old versions of the moodle. The location strings no longer match the control panel environment.

I had a backup from a previous version, but the new Moodle refused to restore it. An entire course lost.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Howard Miller
Re: Enrollment using M2.5
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Is there a question here somewhere?

We'd be happy to help solve your issues but you'll need to give some background information. By "new user login" are you talking about users creating their own accounts? That is off by default as it can be a bit of a security hole unless you understand what you are getting into. 

In what way do "guests" not work? Are you seeing errors or what?

What do you mean by "the location strings no longer match the control panel environment"?

What did "refused to restore it" actually look like? Was there an error message? Which previous version?

etc. etc.

Me

Here's something strange. Apparently, the Moodle's programming of its left-hand sidebar is buggy. When I first log in, at Home, I see this.

Four items under Administration including "Switch Role To." Then, after clicking on something in Site Administration and returning to Home I see this.

Two things under Administration. No Switch Role To.

Any idea what is causing the hide-and-seek in the left side bar?

???

Sherman

Me

At

http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Enrolment_key

(a 2.5 page)

I read

"In the course settings block, click Users>Enrolment methods"

But there is no course settings block. There is no Users > Enrollment methods either.

I would follow the instructions if only they related to the 2.5 Moodle.

Sherman

Me

When I erase the username and password fields and click Guest, I'm informed that the username and password are incorrect and no Guest access is granted.

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hello. I am a bit confused by which questions you are asking but never mind. First of all,  the docs page you mention relates to course enrolment so you have to be in a course and looking at the administration block in the course. Then you will certainly see enrolment methods. 

Also, as far as possible the documentation for 2.5 http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Main_page is up to date, so please state specifically where you believe it to be outdated so we can fix it.

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

The left hand blocks according to your screenshot are operating correctly. Inside a course as admin you see (1) and on the front page you see (2)

If you want to add new users to your site (as I think you might) then please see Authentication and possibly even Email-based self-registration

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Me

Dear Mary,

What an excellent reply! I thought I was witnessing random side bar activity.

Thank you!

smile
Sherman

Me

Hi Mary!

Here is my Administration block.

No Enrollment methods. I'm starting to think that the Moodle 2.5 shown in the Website Source Control Panel page is NOT 2.5. When there's no About Moodle in a menu, how do you ask a Moodle what version it is?

smile

Sherman

Mary Cooch

Hi again. Yesit is Moodle 2.5 but you are looking at this from a front page view point. First of all - to allow people to access your Moodle you need to either make accounts or allow them to make accounts from Plugins>Authentication. See Authentication Then to get them enrolled into courses you have to make sure you have enrolment methods enabled sitewide via Plugins>Enrolment  See Enrolment THEN you go into the course and choose or check your enrolment method from the link you mentioned at the very start smile

You can check the version by clicking Notifications. Also, at the bottom of each page/screen you should have a link to Moodle docs and they will take you to the correct version for your Moodle -so if it goes to 2.5 docs then you are on 2.5.

Me

Thank you Mary!

I did what you suggested and my new Moodle started displaying the new user box.

Thanks for explaining how to find out the version of a Moodle.

The only thing that puzzles me now is why there is no point at which the new enrollee is asked for the Enrollment Key. I typed one into the system, but it enrolls students without asking for it. Any ideas why this might be?

Best regards,
Sherman

Mary Cooch

Well enrolment keys are only for enrolling into courses by self enrolment if you want them to use an enrolment key - if you don't, then once they have got an account on the site (ie authenticated) they can then self enrol into any course. If you want to control who can self enrol into which course, then you would set up a course enrolment key.

Me

Well I've read and re-read the instructions for using the course enrollment key as a tool to keep people out while using the group enrollment key to let students in and add them to a group at the same time. When a user self-enrolls and responds to the challenge email they can gain access to all the courses in a category with the one group enrollment key. Is that right? The group enrollment key is set up for a single course, but the other courses automatically let the student in as well? What purpose would such a system have? In that case the Group Enrollment Key should be renamed Category Group Enrollment key and be placed in the sidebar when an admin is viewing a Category, not a course, right?

I am now of the opinion that group enrollment keys simply don't work.