Feedback

Picture of Susan Mangan
Guest access and Feedback functionality very misleading for Teachers
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Using 2.4.3+
Guest access and Feedback functionality is very misleading for Teachers. 

The documentation is clear in that Guests can only use Feedback successfully on the front page of the Moodle yet, when Guests log in and access a Feedback within a course, by default, Moodle allows the Guest to click on the preview icon, fill out the form and click Continue.   The Guest doesn't necessarily know this is only a preview and that the results will not be saved.  There is no error or warning message and it appears to let the Guest complete the Feedback which is misleading to the Guest and the Teacher administering the site.

I have found a way to get around this by modifying the Guest role so they are not able to view Feedbacks but my question is why would a guest even be allowed to access/preview a Feedback in a course if the functionality is disabled here?  What purpose does this serve if they cannot save results?  If there is a use-case for this, It might be useful to implement a warning at the very least so that guests are aware they are only previewing the Feedback and not actually completing the feedback.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Andreas Grabs
Re: Guest access and Feedback functionality very misleading for Teachers
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators

Hi Susan,

thank you for this post. You are right the "Continue" button could be some confusing. I think I could change that to a "Back" button. Would that be better?

Best regards
Andreas

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Susan Mangan
Re: Guest access and Feedback functionality very misleading for Teachers
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Changing the continue button to something like 'Close Preview' might help. 

Although, I still think some sort of warning might be warranted here.  I think a pop up when the Guest clicks on the preview icon would be ideal.  Something like "This is only a preview, any changes made in this form will not be saved"

Or, having the Guest preview capability set in the Feedback settings with the default being off.  Then those that really need this capability can turn it on accordingly. 

Thank-you for your consideration!

Average of ratings:Useful (1)