General help

Picture of Stefan McGarvey
Frontpage Description Moodle 1.9

Hello, I'm trying to add a brief description on our Moodle site but when I add it under Front Page setting Front Page Description summary it doesn't show up on the landing page. I actually can't see it anywhere in the site. Any and all help would be appreciated.

If there's a different spot to add an "about us" on the main landing page that would be great

Thanks

Stefan

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: Frontpage Description Moodle 1.9
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hi there. Yes - in your front page settings, click the "include a topic section" box and then go back to the front page and turn on the editing and then you can add your description. What you were typing in only appears as a side block if you add the site/course description block.

Thanks Mary for the help. I was just about to take down my questions as we had figured that neat little trick out.

Hello Mary, I do have one question in regards to the description. I would like to only have it displayed before you log in. Once you log in I would love for the students to only see the courses assigned to them not the "About Us" information.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Stefan

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hi there. Actually that is a bit difficult - especially on an old version of Moodle as there is no easy/standard way of doing it. However - what you can do is set "My Moodle" as the default for students so that when they log in they are taken directly to their personalised dashboard with their courses, rather than the front page. The setting is in Administration> Appearance>my Moodle 

Hopefully the last question. My About Us description is in English and French and I would like to only have the English viewable on the English landing page and French on the French landing. Is this possible?

Mary Cooch

Have a look at the multi language content filter - here is the 1.9 documentation http://docs.moodle.org/19/en/Multi_language_content