Installation help

Picture of john ivanac
Moodle Install - Stand Alone

Hi everyone,

RE: Moodle 2.4.4 stand alone install

I installed Xampp, and ran the Apache and MySql services no problem. I then extracted the moodle package to the correct folders, accessed local host/moodle/ install.php  and was then able to click through the screens to get to the site Admin page.

After inputting all the right settings into the page (name, password, country time zone etc) I should have been directed to a moodle front page to create courses etc. But all I got was the same screen re-appearing.

Can anyone help me with the final piece of the puzzle?

Regards

John

Average of ratings: -
Picture of john ivanac
Re: Moodle Install - Stand Alone

Just a thought to add to the above. During the install process I was able to confirm the copyright and supply administrator account details. In the Moodle documentation it states that the database creation can take some time but that you should eventually end up at the Moodle front page with an invitation to create a new course. I think I may have interrupted the creation of the database. If so how do I restart that process? Thanks John

Picture of Ken Task
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

There is a config.php file in the moodle code directory or there should be.  If one wants to start the install process over again, copy that config.php file to another location, and using something like phpmyadmin, drop all tables in the DB.  Any access to the moodle should detect no config.php and begin the install process again.

Might use the command line way to install this next time ... command prompt change into the moodle code directory admin/cli/ and then issue: php install.php

Might have to give the full paths to both php and to install.php when executing.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of john ivanac

Thanks so much for your help. I am now getting a -
" Too many redirects" error when I load the moodle course page.
I've tried clearing my cache, deleting all my cookies, and restarting my laptop, all to no avail.
I notice that in the forum there is a refernce to this procedure:
"For anybody else having this problem, I think it was changing the memory_limit settings in my php.ini file. I moved it up to 80mb, deleted the old config files Moodle created, tried again, and it worked fine".
Does anyone agree with this methodology?
Thanks
John

Picture of Ken Task
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Once you get Moodle installed and running, if there are any other errors such as you encountered, it's not necessary to re-install.  Once you arrive at a solution, normally one just needs to restart a service (mysqld or apache).  The change you mentioned to php.ini just requires Apache service to be restarted.

It would prove very painful if one has spent hours in developing to wipe it all out an begin again. ;)

Glad you found your solution!

'spirit of sharing', Ken