General help

Picture of George Lekeas
Which course structure would you recommend?

Dear All,

We have the following requirements: there is a course of forty students that due to room size limitations have to be split into two groups with twenty students each. There would be different lecturers for each course and the requirement is that students and the other lecturer should not be able to look at the other group and lecturer notes and the only common between the groups would be the assignment (and an assignment discussion forum that both groups will have to share).

I could do two different courses, but then how would I make the forum visible to both groups (is that possible in general)? I could do one super-module with two groups but then one lecturer would be able to look at the other lecturer files.

What would be your recommendation?

Regards,

George

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Sakshi Goel
Re: Which course structure would you recommend?
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi George

You need to create groups and then add students teachers in that particular group. After that if you use Separate group as group mode in course setting page, than students of one group will not able to see other group members. Secondly you have to set individually in each activity as separate except that assignment discussion forum activity. In forum you set group mode as 'Visible' which allow others one member to see other group member.

Picture of George Lekeas

Hi Sashi,

That's fine, but if say Lecturer A is leading Group A and Lecturer B is leading Group B, would Lecturer B not see the documents by Lecturer A and vice versa?

Regards,

George

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

You could use Groupings and also prevent those with the teacher role from accessing groups other than their own -see #1.6 in Groups FAQ

Picture of Robert Brenstein
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers
It may be an overkill in some way but it could make things simpler to administer to create a separate Moodle course for each group and a metacourse for the common assignment and related discussions. This way, each lecturer can arrange his course the way they want. A link placed in each child course could take students to the metacourse. Over there, two links would be needed, one for each child course, so students can easily switch back.

Just wondering . . .
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

This is very sad George that there is not collaboration and sharing between lecturers.  I too have also had to face this.  Competition in the staffroom?  Very sad.

SIMPLE SOLUTION: In my case, I set up courses for each lecturer.  Then I set up a course for Administration and Assessments for everybody.

I put there all the links to aegrotat pass forms, applications for late assignments, appeal forms etc.  And the assessment and assessment forums.

I added a link to the assessment course in section zero. And in the assessment course links to the other courses in section zero.

Side note: I know students shared material from both courses with each other.   smile

You can of course work with groupings and groups as Mary said, but the lecturer roles there cannot be normal 'teacher' roles if they are in one course and achieve your ends.  (At lease I think this is the case)

Good luck

-Derek