General help

Picture of Whitney Lowe
Very Large Number of Groups

We have a course (which will be in Moodle 2.3)  that will have close to 20,000 enrollees. It is for a company that has over 800 locations. They would like each location to be able to track their employees, so we figured we would do that with each location having a unique group. Employees will self-enroll, so that means we will have to manually set up over 800 groups and group enrollment keys. Any ideas on a more effective way to do this so we can track reports from each employee and which group (location) they are associated with?

Thanks,

Whitney

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Whitney Lowe
Re: Very Large Number of Groups

As an addendum to this original post. Is there a limit to the number of groups you can have in a course?

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

There is no limit on how many groups you can have in one course. At the OU we have a course with 764 groups, it seems.

Looks like you can use bulk user upload to generate groups. See https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=129279

Picture of Whitney Lowe

Looks like the upload users function would work well and I tried testing it to create our large number of groups, but it seems like I have to have users in each group in order to create the group.

Is there anyway to automate the process of creating the groups before there are people in each of the groups?

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

I wonder if this trick would work:

Create all the groups using upload uses adding a single fake user to each one (for example, make a user account called 'Dummy User' or something).

Then, En-enrol Dummy User from your course. I think that will remove them from all the groups, but will leave the empty groups there.

Picture of Whitney Lowe

That sounds like a great strategy. I will test it out. 

I found that I could also do it by making a spreadsheet with users that had sequential numbers as names and that way I could easily make a fake user for each course and create the large number of groups as well. However, I would end up with many more fake users my way and your strategy sounds much better. Thanks!