Grading a quiz by multiple areas

Grading a quiz by multiple areas

by Claudio Bartoloni -
Number of replies: 5

In my moodle installation (version 1.9.9) i have an exam simulation quiz that contains 200 questions belonging to 5 different categories (initiating, planning, executing, controlling and closing)

I would like to know if moodle can count:

1. how many correct answer has been given for the whole simulation (or the percent value)
  2. how many correct answer has been given for each category (or the percent value)

Thanks

Attachment Schermata 2013-06-21 alle 14.27.16.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Claudio Bartoloni

Re: Grading a quiz by multiple areas

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Sadly, Moodle cannot do this (yet). Lots of people wish it could, so it may get implemented one day, but I don't know when.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Claudio Bartoloni -

Thanks for the quick answer.

Is there any add-on or module that helps with this?

I believe that navigating through the database we can to find the information to produce those percentages but the problem is how to make it available to students in moodle.

by Ray Morris -

Although as Tim said there's no perfect way to do that, let me point out three things that may be helpful.

Option 1:

There are a couple of different reports in mod/quiz/report/.  You could probably use one of them as a starting point to author a new report with the information you want.

Option 2:

We are planning to achieve the same goal by using different vocabulary.  We create a Topic with several Quizzes, but treat the category as one quiz and each Quiz as a subsection. Each section covers one category.  In Gradebook, we'll create a calculated grade for the entire "quiz", which is actually a Topic.  In the end, that gives grades for each subsection as well as a combined grade.

Option 3:

Tim posted that OU is planning to implement subsections within quizzes, though initially without grading the subsections.  The response indicated many people would like subsections to be graded, so that will feature will probably be added in the not-too-distant future, and you could help make that happen.  One could have each subsection cover a category and achieve your goal.

In reply to Ray Morris

by Claudio Bartoloni -

I came across this plugin here

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Custom_SQL_queries_report

I divided the questions in my simulation in 5 different categories and I wrote an SQL query to extract the response for each quiz attempt.

I hope this plugin will help me in running the query that can be tailored to extract the information I need

What do you think of this option?

by Ray Morris -

Your link didn't quite make it, but if it's the plugin I suspect it is, that should work.  You just need someone who really understands SQL to write the query.

("The query" can be done with one query, as opposed to 20 queries.)