Backup and restore

Picture of Amin Hannini
Restoring Multiple Courses Simultaneously (multi-semester issue)

Hello, this is my first time posting.

So basically, the site I'm running has several hundred courses offered, and we want to offer the exact same courses for several semesters to come.  The way I've tried to tackle this is have semesters as categories, majors as sub-categories, and courses within those.

From what I can tell, the only way to do this is to essentially make a copy of the courses without user data (through backup/restore) and change the date (probably by running an SQL query, unless there's some other method).  There seems to be a batch backup method, but no batch restore, however.

My question is: is there any way to do a mass restore of courses?  Or is there perhaps an easier way to address the whole issue of multiple semesters?  I know these are two different questions, but I'm not really sure how to approach this. I should think I'm not the first to encounter an issue like this, but a forum search hasn't yielded anything that really helps me (maybe I've used the wrong search terms...).

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.  Moodle is an awesome tool, and I've love to be able to take advantage of its full potential someday.  

Best regards,

Amin

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Emma Richardson
Re: Restoring Multiple Courses Simultaneously (multi-semester issue)
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I would love this capability too!!  Haven't found a way to do it yet..

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

How would admins control this? What I mean is, I don't see what the user-interface for doing this would look like.

At the back end, it is quite easy to write code to make Moodle back things up and restore them. There is example code at http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Backup_2.0_for_developers#Setting_up_the_environment and http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Restore_2.0_for_developers#Automatically_triggering_restore_in_code

Picture of Amin Hannini

I'm actually only concerned about this functionality being possible rather than what an interface for it would look like, but I don't think it'd be too complicated.  A drag and drop area, maybe, with you choosing one (or several) courses you'd like to be restored.  I don't know how difficult it would be to code, but logistically it's straightforward enough.

I will look into the code you've shared, thank you.  On that note, though, is this the best approach to what I'm trying to do?  To have the same course offerings for different semesters?  I just want to make sure before I start to tinker with the php.

Thanks a lot for your input!

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

There are basically two approaches:

1. Backup and restore without user data.

2. Use course rest to wipe the original course for reuse.

If you want to keep the old copies of the course for archiving purposes, then 1. is better.

Picture of Amin Hannini

I'm going to give the automated "tweaks" you've mentioned a go.  Thanks for your help!

Picture of Emma Richardson
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

List of courses with checkboxes - select which ones you want to restore.

Or the option to select multiple files to restore at once - I think there would be a lot of people who would like this functionality.

Picture of Amin Hannini

That would definitely be wonderful.

I could not get the process automated (even after following the aforementioned code tweaks) and thus have had to import courses manually.  It's taken me all of yesterday/today and I'm still not done...really wish there were a way to do this automatically.

How does everyone else deal with the logistics of a university with multiple semesters?

Picture of Anatoliy Kochnev

Hello Amin,

if you are still looking for way to restore multiple courses into one or multiple Moodle instances, i am happy to share the system that i developed to do that.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Anatoliy

C'est moi :-)
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hello,

Even if Amin is not interested, i'm sure someone will be... so don't hesitate to post all usefull information.

Thanks,

Séverin

Picture of Anatoliy Kochnev

Hello,

the service is located at http://cloud.sebale.net and works best with Moodle 2.4 and higher. It is free for individual use and has a good storage space to keep backups of courses in one place. You need to be registered in order to use the service.

Thank you,
Anatoliy

Picture of vinoth kannan

Hi Anatoly,

I am in need to create around 2000 courses with about 5000 documents. I created courses using bulk upload and then to create activity for adding file resource i used template which created courses with empty file activity now i need to add around 5000 files (word, excel, ppt, pdf) all convert to html to all the 2000 courses. I have placed all converted documents to file system repository.

Can u please let me know that the system you developed will be able to link those files to their corresponding courses. As manually doing this wouldmake error and time consuming.

Thanks in advance

Vinoth