Database Conenction failed

Re: Now looks more of a Server problem than Moodle one.

by Frank B -
Number of replies: 3

I think you are confusing the database prefix with the table prefixes. One has nothing to do with the other, literally. For example, I've set my server to add the subdomain prefix to the database name so that I will know what site the database belongs to, like campus_moodle. The tables within this database are prefixed as specified in the config.php with 'mdl_'.

I wish folks, would at least, take the time to learn the OS and database of their choice; before venturing off to install web-based apps. Some beginner PHP/MYSQL/APACHE/LINUX primers would not be a bad thing. You must have a local geek or 13 year old whizkid in your neighborhood. Sorry for the rant.

In reply to Frank B

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Yep, understand, but that's my point ... if LunarPages requires a customer prefix to databases on the shared DB host and one is not given in config.php, then?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Frank B -

Sure, normally that is given to them on the control panel when they create the database. It will usually ask them for a database(among other things) and then display <prefix>_<database name> with the credentials selected.

If it was created by an installer it would be a moot point since the installer takes care of creating the database and putting the correct name in the config.php, among other things.

In reply to Frank B

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Sorry to dis-agree in this case ... not a moot point IF the op is now trying to install manually.  Customer would have to know those when doing the web based portion of the installation - or be able to look them up while doing the install.

As far as prefixes are concerned ... isn't it possible to use one DB for multiple moodles (even of different versions) IF one uses a different table prefix for each installation?  Personally, wouldn't do it, but it could be done.  Maybe some hosting providers do - dunno that for a fact and am not saying LunarPages does, however, offering $cheapo per month must mean the provider has found some ways to reduce their cost.

Prefix for the DB name more of an aid to user as well as tech support on a shared DB system.

This is why I suggested yet another install via their script ... then inspect the config.php file to see what the script inserted.  Next time op wants to manually create another Moodle site, the particulars for the specific provider are known and the op can adjust.

'spirit of sharing', Ken