General help

 
 
Picture of Ken Task
Re: Now looks more of a Server problem than Moodle one.
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

None of us attempting to help host with LunarPages - at least no one said they did.  Acknowledge that it was working before ... well, you say it was, guess we have to believe you.

Not sure I could be 'blamed' for using bolding and underlining, because questions went un-answered.  Beginning to wonder if one missed them.  And in this last response this new information is disclosed:

'my tenant that holds the rights to the server account and it is really up to him to take the next step'

Hmmmm ... maybe that should have been your first step!

Best of luck ...

Ken

 
Average of ratings: -
Picture of Steve Ambro v2.5.1
Re: Now looks more of a Server problem than Moodle one.
 

Nope, not the first step, had to know it wasn't Moodle first.
It is like the hardware people blaming the software people blaming the hardware people...

 

 

 
Average of ratings: -
Picture of Ken Task
Re: Now looks more of a Server problem than Moodle one.
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Actually, it might have been Moodle configuration ... the config lines for the database.  Just happened to think ... if you originally installed via LunarPages script, one of the things they could have done via that script was to provide a database prefix indicating the customer.  From informaton shared: mim0002_ as opposed to what Moodle suggest for default mdl_.

On a manual install of a 2.x with MySQL server being localhost, this line is present in config.php

$CFG->prefix    = 'mdl_';

What I am saying, Moodle hasn't been tested all the way to know that it's not a config error.  So where to go if LunarPages say the problem isn't on their end.  Back here? 

One way to see ... install yet another moodle via their script.  Find the config.php file that was built by that script and see what the script did for that parameter - as well as others - DB host, etc.  Also one could be aware of config.php file ownerships and permissions also - etc.  And a biggy to Moodle ... the location of the moodledata directory.  That is assuming their script actually works.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

 

 
Average of ratings: -
Picture of Frank B
Re: Now looks more of a Server problem than Moodle one.
 

I think you are confusing the database prefix with the table prefixes. One has nothing to do with the other, literally. For example, I've set my server to add the subdomain prefix to the database name so that I will know what site the database belongs to, like campus_moodle. The tables within this database are prefixed as specified in the config.php with 'mdl_'.

I wish folks, would at least, take the time to learn the OS and database of their choice; before venturing off to install web-based apps. Some beginner PHP/MYSQL/APACHE/LINUX primers would not be a bad thing. You must have a local geek or 13 year old whizkid in your neighborhood. Sorry for the rant.

 
Average of ratings: -
Picture of Ken Task
Re: Now looks more of a Server problem than Moodle one.
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Yep, understand, but that's my point ... if LunarPages requires a customer prefix to databases on the shared DB host and one is not given in config.php, then?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

 
Average of ratings: -
Picture of Frank B
Re: Now looks more of a Server problem than Moodle one.
 

Sure, normally that is given to them on the control panel when they create the database. It will usually ask them for a database(among other things) and then display <prefix>_<database name> with the credentials selected.

If it was created by an installer it would be a moot point since the installer takes care of creating the database and putting the correct name in the config.php, among other things.

 
Average of ratings: -
Picture of Ken Task
Re: Now looks more of a Server problem than Moodle one.
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Sorry to dis-agree in this case ... not a moot point IF the op is now trying to install manually.  Customer would have to know those when doing the web based portion of the installation - or be able to look them up while doing the install.

As far as prefixes are concerned ... isn't it possible to use one DB for multiple moodles (even of different versions) IF one uses a different table prefix for each installation?  Personally, wouldn't do it, but it could be done.  Maybe some hosting providers do - dunno that for a fact and am not saying LunarPages does, however, offering $cheapo per month must mean the provider has found some ways to reduce their cost.

Prefix for the DB name more of an aid to user as well as tech support on a shared DB system.

This is why I suggested yet another install via their script ... then inspect the config.php file to see what the script inserted.  Next time op wants to manually create another Moodle site, the particulars for the specific provider are known and the op can adjust.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

 

 
Average of ratings: -
Picture of Rob Johnson
Re: Now looks more of a Server problem than Moodle one.
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Steve,

I recommend using a local installation to test if Moodle has a problem in the future.  You do not need a hosting account or domain to do so.  That way you control the variables of the installation.  Using an auto-installer is not reliable in many hosted environments.

FYI - Changing the subject line in a thread can be confusing.  I have tried to follow this thread in my email, but have lost it twice when the subject changed.

 
Average of ratings: -
Picture of Steve Ambro v2.5.1
Re: Now looks more of a Server problem than Moodle one.
 

Acknowledged on the changing of subject line.  I noted the problem when I lost the thread myself.  (-:

 

 
Average of ratings: -