Using Moodle Quiz module

Using Moodle Quiz module

by Avinash Sajjanshetty -
Number of replies: 8

Hi all smile I am absolutely new to Moodle development. I wanted to know that is it possible to just use Moodle quiz system ? I am only interested in Quiz and its features. So basically I want to strip off all other features of Moodle and use only quiz. 

1. Has anyone done that already ? Any example sites ?

2. from where do I get started ?

thank you in advance smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Avinash Sajjanshetty

Re: Using Moodle Quiz module

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello there. You can disable other activities by going to Site administration>Plugins>Activity modules>Manage activities and hiding the eye of them. The only one you can't disable is the forum but you don't actually have to use it in a course if you don't want to.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Thank you very much for replying. Though this works but not exactly provides the solution I am looking for. I already knew about disabling features.

Stripping of irrelevant features also makes source size smaller (so that overall package is small) 

That's why I wanted to know. 
In reply to Mary Cooch

Hi ... One more thing, for any user to attempt quiz he has to enrol into the course. Is it possible to skip this step ? I mean without enrolling, one can attempt quizzes ? 

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. No; a user has to be enrolled to be able to take a quiz. (There are workarounds but that is the short answer.)

by Eric Ellis -

Check out Juan Leyva's wonderful LTIProvider module for moodle.  It will require some work, but it works well. 

In reply to Eric Ellis

Thank you very much for replying. I have looked into LTI Provider, though I couldn't understand anything (may be I am just a beginner). So I will dig deeper !

Any pointers to get started will be appreciated ! smile

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Avinash,

If you want to use Moodle only for its Quiz activity, then my advice is to not use Moodle at all, but another system which will enable you to create quizzes/tests and put them online. For example, Hot Potatoes.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Rogo is a stand-alone, open-source assessment system I have seen. I have never used it though.

The idea of using Moodle quiz, via the LTI provider add-on, is also worth pursuing.

Another option is to write some custom code that automatically logs people into Moodle, enrols them in the course, and sends them to the quiz, when they arrive from. However, that is basically what LTI does.