Roles and permissions

Picture of Anisorf Avecok
Teacher can't see his hidden course

I'm using moodle 2.4.4. and in the Course overview the teacher has a hidden courses even if i have allow the moodle/course:viewhiddencourses and the moodle/category:viewhiddencategories and even i do not have any course or category hidden (I've checked this by going into Site Administration->Course->Add/Modify course).  What should i do in order that the teacher has visible this courses?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion/help.

Average of ratings: -
Ben talking on the phone beside a monitor
Re: Teacher can't see his hidden course
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Sorry to ask such a basic question, but is the teacher in the hidden course? If you haven't enrolled the teacher, it won't be seen.

Hi Ben,

thanks for responding, it's a valid question, yes the teacher is a teacher of the hidden course, and he can see his courses (and also the  hidden courses) in the Course Profiles by going to My Home->My Profile-> View Profile.

So, it isn't that the course is not visible to the teacher? It's that the course is not available to students?

If so, Course settings > edit settings > Availability > This course is available to students > Save changes

Hi Ben, sorry for my confusing English.

But the problem as i said in the first post is that the course is not visible to the teacher in the Course overview .

Thanks for trying to help me.

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Which theme are you using? Can you try with a different theme?

Hi Mary,

I use the theme Leatherbound  (with little modifications). I've now try with Binarius, Arialist, Anomaly and Formal White. But the result is same in the bottom of the Course overview (after a list of some courses) it's written  " You have 7 hidden courses ".

Oh, this is VERY interesting. I just hid a course I'm enrolled in. I'm using the default theme in 2.4

1. Click on the "Home" breadcrumb. I can see the hidden course listed below my not hidden courses. I can link to it.
  2. Click on "My courses" in the Navigation sidebar. I get "Course overview." The hidden course is not visible. I do not get a note that I have a hidden course.

I guess #2 is intentional. Your teacher can get to the hidden courses by clicking "Home" in the breadcrumbs.

Also interesting, my localhost version is 2.4 using the Bootstrap responsive theme. As a teacher, I hide a course.

1. Click on the "Home" breadcrumb. I can see the hidden course. It is in grey font. I can link to it.
  2. Click on "My courses" in the Navigation sidebar. I get "Course Overview." The hidden course IS visible. It is NOT in grey font. I can link to it.

Now I'm not sure what to think.

Related tracker item is reported fixed in 2.4.5 and above

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-37968

Hi ben,

The next week i'll try to update moodle from 2.4.4 to 2.4.5 and i'll share if this will solve my problem.

Thanks for i'll the suggestions that you are giving to me.

Picture of Justin Templemore-Finayson

Have you tried flushing your cache? I had a similar problem when changing the permissions, the hidden courses were not seen because the course list was not rebuilt immediately.

/admin/purgecaches.php