Installing and upgrading help

How to install 2.5 and retain users/courses from previous install?

Picture of Chris Lee
How to install 2.5 and retain users/courses from previous install?

I recently installed 2.3.7 and started online courses this past week; some technical issue arose that are beyond my ability to troubleshoot, an open ticket with my host provider, Bluehost, didn't prove much helpful.

So, I'm thinking about a fresh installation of 2.5. My biggest concern is, how do I retain the ongoing courses and the 300+ current users?

I would much appreciate it if anyone can provide me detailed instructions, or point me to such ready-made instructions on the web.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Giovanni Martinez
Re: How to install 2.5 and retain users/courses from previous install?

I would suggest a backup of the database, a fresh installation of the same version of Moodle, restore the backup and upgrade that fresh install.

Sketch...
Re: How to install 2.5 and retain users/courses from previous install?
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Perhaps you can rather post details of that technical issue that you've experienced on your 2.3.7 site and somebody might help you fix that. It might avoid you having to reinstall Moodle and would save you a lot of work...

Alternatively, if you choose to go the rebuild route, if you look under the course settings for each of your courses you'll see a Backup option. Select that and follow the instructions to backup each of your courses. Make sure you INCLUDE user data in the backups so that you don't lose your student data and the work they've done.

Then, once you have a working version of Moodle you can recreate the courses and import the user data using those backup (.mbz) files that you created for each course.

If you choose this route, first read the http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Backup documentation.