WebCT like announcements?

WebCT like announcements?

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 6

Dear All,

I have been a WebCT user for a few years and there was an option that you could set an announcement that would open as a pop-up when the user logged in. Is such a feature available on Moodle or the only way of disseminating information is via the forums?

Regards,

George

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deleted user

Re: WebCT like announcements?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Well you could use Moodle's instant messaging system to send the message although individual users can set their preferences such that the messages only come via email (although you as admin can prevent that if you really want) Then when they log in a message will pop up at the bottom of the screen( as possibly you saw mine?) See Using Messaging

In reply to Deleted user

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Have you looked at the "News Forum" and "Latest News" block?  This is not quite the same as what you had in WebCT, but when you take these two features, along with the "News Forum" email students each announcement, you might find that this suffices.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Deleted user -

Rick and Mary,

Many thanks for the prompt replies. I am aware of messaging and forum posts, what I am looking for is something that replicates the functionality of announcements back when we were using WebCT; i.e. I create a message and when the user logs on, provided he/she is enrolled on the module for which the post was made, a pop-up window will come up with the relevant text.

Regards,

George

In reply to Deleted user

by Rick Jerz -

George, as far as I know, Moodle doesn't do this.

Have you considered adding your idea as a "feature request" in the Moodle Tracker system?  It seems like a good feature to me.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Deleted user -

Will definitely do that, thanks. In the mean time, if I decide to embark myself on a effort to add the functionality, could you point me in the right direction regarding which files and blocks I should edit?

Regards,

George

In reply to Deleted user

by Rick Jerz -

I'm not a programmer, so I can't point you to the files.  However, Moodle is very well documented.  Maybe someone else can help.