Backup and restore

Picture of Sharon R
Moodle 2.5 course restore stalls at Review Screen

I am restoring a course in Moodle 2.5. I can backup the course and take the course through the restore process until it gets to the Review step (after the Schema step).  The Review Page is BLANK and therefore I cannot continue the restore. Course size is 1.8GB. I have tried it in FF and IE on Windows 7 laptop.

Any ideas on how I can get the course to restore?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Christopher Molnar
Re: Moodle 2.5 course restore stalls at Review Screen

Yes. Setup external zip. I had to do it on my site. There is another thread on broken zip on the forum someplace.

Picture of Sharon R

Do you mean by setup external zip to change the file extension to a zip file and upload that way?  I am getting a different error message when I try that. I am searching Moodle forums now for any more info on changing the extension to zip.

I am gathering it has something to do with changing the xml files in the zip file somehow, but that is as far as I have gotten. It not clear to me yet what I should do with those files.

We merged from 1.9 and the courses came over fine, but now some won't backup and restore while others will restore correctly.  If it is something within the course causing problems I could remove that from the course before trying to restore.  I think it might have to do with autolinking or the glossary.

St Petersburg, Russia
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I think that Christopher was referring to setting the location of the system zip binary in Site Administration : Server : System Paths. However, though this is something that was settable in 1.9 there is no way of setting the path in moodle v 2.4 at least.

I think that your original problem has to do with the gigantic size of the course backup. A course backup of 1.8Gb means that you either have a lot of media files or you've included something else by accident. I have found in the past that sometimes in a 1.9 installation previous course backup zip files may get moved outside the 'backupdata' folder and then they'll get included recursively as it were into the current backup. Personally, I'd delve into the course in question and either prune uneccessary files or zip up folders/files to move separately. In other words, you're going to have to handle course backups of 1.8Gb size as special cases!

Picture of Sharon R

Thanks for your reply. smile   The course in question has multiple media files in every unit. Videos, Powerpoints, etc. However, I have over 30 courses this size for just MY program that my teachers have written and I know there are many other courses in our Moodle that are as large.

We have been backing them up and restoring them in 1.9 for a couple of years now without any problem. This is crazy that we could back them up in earlier versions and can't now.

Hopefully we will be able to figure out how to do this with the large files.

Picture of Helen Foster
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Sharon,

Can you try turning Debugging on (to developer), then hopefully an error message will be generated enabling the problem to be diagnosed.

Picture of Sharon R

Helen you are a genius. smile

I turned on the debugging and found the error in the file size in a pear folder within Moodle. The file size was set way too low. In addition, our WAN engineer had to increase the RAM size on our new server.

We were just able to backup and restore a 3.7 gig course! 

thank you!

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Helen Foster
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

I'm glad to hear you managed to resolve your problem Sharon.

(It's always a good plan to turn on debugging if you ever get a blank or half-missing page anywhere in Moodle. Source: Administration FAQ)