"Copying & pasting" Highlighted Text From Word

"Copying & pasting" Highlighted Text From Word

by S Whitus -
Number of replies: 4

To provide comments to students on assignments, I'm used to being able to "copy & paste" highlighted text from Word to the feedback box in Blackboard.  While I can "copy & paste" many format styles from Word to Moodle, I'm unable to get text that I've highlighted to paste into Moodle with the highlights.

Yes, I know that I can highlight text within the Moodle text editor, but vision issues make the intricate work difficult to do with that tool.

Please advise.....thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to S Whitus

Re: "Copying & pasting" Highlighted Text From Word

by Cris Fuhrman -

This seems to be related to the browser at the least (perhaps the version of Moodle, too).

If I use the latest Chrome, then I don't get hilighting.

If I use Internet Explorer 10.0.9200.16614, I do get hilighting.

Both tests done with Office 2010 (v. 14.0.6129.5000 32-bit) and Moodle 2.4 (not sure of exact version...)

In reply to Cris Fuhrman

by S Whitus -

Cris....Thanks for that information.  I have no idea what the reason is for the issues I'm having, as I seem to be able to duplicate your process, but am not getting the highlights.

In reply to S Whitus

by Cris Fuhrman -

I tried it again, and I realize why I thought it was working for me. I was doing the highlighting in Moodle's editor first, pasting it into Word, then copying that, and re-pasting it back to Moodle's editor.

Indeed, if I start with text in Word with word's highlight, it doesn't paste into Moodle properly.

If I use the "Paste from Word" option, the highlighting appears in the pop-up window's editor (in both Chrome and IE), but the text that's placed in the Moodle field after you close that has no highlighting. 

Since it's not already listed as a bug, I created a report on the tracker at https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-40215

Attachment Clipboard01.png
In reply to S Whitus

by Cris Fuhrman -

To follow up on this, I think the "bug" is not in Moodle per se, but in the component TinyMCE that Moodle users. After submitting the bug report to Moodle, it was explained to me that TinyMCE is simply "plugged in". If it's not working in Moodle, the bug is likely with them.

You can try it on http://www.tinymce.com/tryit/basic.php

So, I also filed a bug report on tinyMCE's site. Who knows how long it will take before this is fixed. Tiny MCE has a lot of open bugs. I guess this is normal when you try to do a tool that works with 4+ browsers in JavaScript and how many versions of Word?! Pretty daunting level of complexity going there...