Installing Moodle as subdomain, using dir off the top level

Installing Moodle as subdomain, using dir off the top level

by David Byrnes -
Number of replies: 1

On my web host, the server is set up so as to allow subdomains by creating a directory in your top level. So, instead of installing in my htdocs directory, I create a new directory at the same leval as htdocs, called english, then an htdocs within the english directory. This automatically parses as the subdomain http://english.spanish-in-action.com . I copied all the Moodle files to this directory, open my browser (IE) anmd it starts the install process, automatically detecting the directory structure. However, I then get this error:

Please confirm the locations of this Moodle installation.

Web Address: Specify the full web address where Moodle will be accessed. If your web site is accessible via multiple URLs then choose the most natural one that your students would use. Do not include a trailing slash.

Moodle Directory: Specify the full directory path to this installation Make sure the upper/lower case is correct.

Data Directory: You need a place where Moodle can save uploaded files. This directory should be readable AND WRITEABLE by the web server user (usually 'nobody' or 'apache'), but it should not be accessible directly via the web.

The web address does not appear to be valid - this Moodle installation doesn't appear to be there.

Web address

Moodle Directory

Data Directory

For Web Address, it shows http://english.spanish-in-action.com

For Moodle Directory, it shows /www/s/spanishaction/english/htdocs

For Data Directory, it shows /www/s/spanishaction/english/moodledata

Any suggestions?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Byrnes

Re: Installing Moodle as subdomain, using dir off the top level

by David Byrnes -
Also, please note that the install will start fom the web address. To start the install, I enter the url directly into the browser. It doesn't seem to matter which browser either. I've tried with IE, Netscape, and Opera, and all 3 fail at this point.