Duplicate Assignment after Assignment Upgrade

Duplicate Assignment after Assignment Upgrade

by Vicko Cesko -
Number of replies: 9

Hi Everyone,

We are currently running 2.4.4.

Recently, while still on 2.3.7 we upgraded all our assignments using the Assignment Upgrade Helper. One of our assignments failed to upgrade for some reason, I forget why now. From searching the forum here we found that upgrading to 2.4.4 would fix the issue and enable us to upgrade our assignment. 

2.4.4 did allow us to upgrade the assignment but it ended up creating a duplicate assignment upload link, each with its own view ID. It seems that one has all the old info in it (prior to assignment upgrade) and the other has all the new submissions. 

When we click on the View/Grade Submission link and then click on the grading icon (in the Grade column) for one of the students we get an error stating: Multiple records found, only one record expected.

Can anyone help us sort this out?

Thank you,

Vicko

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Vicko Cesko

Re: Duplicate Assignment after Assignment Upgrade

by Damyon Wiese -

It may be that the first upgrade attempt left some bad data in the database. Do you have a backup of the assignment from before the upgrade? The first thing I would try is to restore the old assignment from a backup and attempt the upgrade again, if it works and all the data is there then delete the assignments from the previous upgrade attempts. 

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Vicko Cesko -

We don't have the backup of the assignment any longer. I cleaned up the backup files before noticing this issue a week or two after the upgrade. Even if we had the assignment backup, wouldn't we lose all the data that was submitted after the upgrade was done?

Is there a way to merge the two assignments together, maybe in the database?

In reply to Vicko Cesko

by Vicko Cesko -

Update --

We tried to create a new assignment to replace both of the existing ones so that our students and instructors can at least have everything working from this point on.

Creating a new assignment created 2 copies of it. Trying to update the assignment and check settings throws that "multiple records found, one expected" error. Deleting those assignments errors out as well but the assignments do end up deleting as they're no longer there when the page is refreshed. Creating a new assignment anywhere in that course causes that error. Creating a new assignment in another course works fine. 

Thanks,

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Vicko Cesko

by Vicko Cesko -

Correction:

The assignments can not be deleted even though it looked like it at first.

In reply to Vicko Cesko

by Olumuyiwa Taiwo -
Picture of Plugin developers

1. Turn on debugging

2. Attempt to delete the unwanted assignment

3. Post the resulting error message here

In reply to Olumuyiwa Taiwo

by Vicko Cesko -

This is what I get in a pop up window when I try to delete the assignment:

Error
Multiple records found, only one record expected.
URL: /
Debug info: SELECT cm.*, m.name, md.name AS modname FROM {course_modules} cm JOIN {modules} md ON md.id = cm.module JOIN {assign} m ON m.id = cm.instance WHERE m.id = :instance AND md.name = :modulename [array ( 'instance' => '182', 'modulename' => 'assign', )] Error code: multiplerecordsfound
Stack trace:
* line 1392 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: dml_multiple_records_exception thrown
* line 1551 of /lib/datalib.php: call to moodle_database->get_record_sql()
* line 50 of /mod/assign/lib.php: call to get_coursemodule_from_instance()
* line 208 of /course/rest.php: call to assign_delete_instance()

In reply to Vicko Cesko

by Uniting College -

I'm not an sql expert but like to look under the hood at things occasionally it seems with the update you did the error has corrupted the 'assign' database table as this is where the error code appears in the above.

I see you posted a job add to get this fixed. Happy to have a look (I am a Moodle Admin) and if I can't fix it then no charge.

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by sohail aslam -

Is there any possibility that there are 2 assignment plugins now ( old one and new/upgraded one).

Have you disabled the old plugin?

In reply to sohail aslam

by Vicko Cesko -

The old assignment module has been disabled but not deleted.