Hint Button not displaying

Hint Button not displaying

by Michael Weston -
Number of replies: 5

Using Moodle 2.3.

I have a quiz with question behavior set to Interactive with multiple tries.  I input text into the Hint 1 area of my question.  When I view the question, I only see a Check button and no Hint button.  How to do I get the Hint button to show?

Here are my settings:

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Weston

Re: Hint Button not displaying

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Michael,

this is not how it works

Student input a response and use the Check button to check it

If it is not correct the first hint will be displayed after this first try and the student can re-attempt the question.

And so on for the next available hint, if there is one

# of permitted tries =# of hints + 1

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Michael Weston -

So what you're saying is that a Hint will show to the student only after they try the question and click Check?  Is there no Hint button before they try the question?

I've seen this done before.  The following link has a Moodle quiz.  Click on the link and then hit start quiz.  You will see a Hint button and a Check button.  If you click on Hint before you answer, a Hint pops up.  How do I get my quiz to perform in this manner?

http://www.divetalking.com/?p=7543

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Michael,

The quiz that your link points to is not a Moodle quiz.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Michael Weston -

I see.  Thought for sure it was a Moodle generated quiz.

However, whatever program created that quiz, it illustrates what I'm looking for.  Is there a way to display a Hint to the student before they answer the question, e.g., a Hint Button?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There is no way to get a hint button at the moment.

It would be possible for someone to create a "question behaviour plugin" to implement the functionality you want, but no one had done so yet.

The interactive with multiple tries behaviour was intentionally designed the way it is. We only wanted students to be able get a hint after they had tried to answer the questoin themselves.