Cannot assign Teacher Role in Course (Moodle 2.5.1)

Cannot assign Teacher Role in Course (Moodle 2.5.1)

by Chris Walsh -
Number of replies: 8

Hello,

I have a recently installed version of Moodle 2.5.1.  I am trying to assign teachers to courses but cannot seem to be able to do it.  I've not changed any of the default role capabilities.

1. The Course Context section says I can "Click the "Enrol users" button" within the Enrolled users page but I don't see an "Enrol users" button (see screenshot #1).  I've tried this as a System-level Manager and as the Administrator.

2. Under Users > Other Users I have an Assign Roles button but the only role that can be assigned is "Manager" and not "Teacher" (see screenshot #2).

Can anyone advise what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Chris

Attachment screenshot#1.PNG
Attachment screenshot#2.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Walsh

Re: Cannot assign Teacher Role in Course (Moodle 2.5.1)

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Click on"enrolment methods" and make sure you have manual enrolments enabled.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Chris Walsh -

Thanks Mary, that is what I was missing.  The Enrol Users button now appears.  I'll add this enrolment method at the system level so I don't need to add individually.

Any thoughts on item #2?

In reply to Chris Walsh

by Heather Edick -

Chris,

When I assign teachers to a course, I use the "Enrolled Users" interface and enroll them that way.  The fact that the interface is named in the past tense was confusing to me at first as well.  When you click on it, however, you should see the "Enroll Users" button on the right hand side of your screen.   I believe that if you use the "Other Users" interface, you'll find that interface is restricted to non-teachers and students.   

Here's a screen shot. 

In reply to Heather Edick

by Chris Walsh -

Thanks Heather,

Yes, the past tense menu item is misleading.  However, Mary pointed out the bit I was missing which was the fact that I hadn't assigned the "Manual Enrolment" method to the course/site.  Now I can assign any user (as any role) to the course (at least, when using the Administrator login anyway).

Interestingly, my "Other Users" interface is restricted to "Managers" only (see my second screenshot from my original post).

Thanks

In reply to Chris Walsh

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Chris, as you've found, by default, the only role which can be assigned to other users is the manager role. To enable other roles, such as teacher to be assigned, the capability moodle/course:view should be allowed for the role. (Copied from the documentation Other users.)

In reply to Helen Foster

by Chris Walsh -

Thanks for the information Helen.  That answers my second query.

As a result, I've had a look at the moodle/course:view capability and it isn't appropriate for what I am wanting (assigning Teachers to courses) but at least I now know what Other Users is for (if I need it in future).
Thanks.

In reply to Chris Walsh

by Noor Sabrina Mohd Fadzil -

Hi, im trying to do a demo site. Unfortunately I could not assign role as the button is missing. Can someone assist me? sad

Thank you in advance!!

In reply to Noor Sabrina Mohd Fadzil

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Noor -could you give more  specific details about what you are trying to do?