Idea - Rubrics in Quiz (for essay questions)

Idea - Rubrics in Quiz (for essay questions)

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 15

Hello!

After giving a few turns, and see that it isn't possible with the features of Moodle, I'm considering developing a modification in the Quiz activity.

I would appreciate any guidance to consider myself developing rubrics for include it in essay type questions inf Quiz activities.

Initially this is the idea:

WE HAVE THIS:

WE WANT TO ACCOMPLISH THIS:

Thanks for your time

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Idea - Rubrics in Quiz (for essay questions)

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Although there is no rubric feature in quiz essay questions, there is such a feature in the assignment module, which allows for online text instead of file uploading.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'd also add that I was asked by a client to investigate using rubrics with a quiz. The way the rubrics are currently written it isn't technically feasible to do this (I checked with the core developers responsible for rubrics - it only really works on a per-activity basis, not per-question within a quiz). Hopefully there will be an update to the rubrics code, at some point, to enable it to work in situations like this.

There is an open tracker issue https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-32804 - but it's not currently being worked on.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Davo Smith

by Deleted user -

Then, I better get stay still. sad

Thanks Davo

In reply to Marcus Green

by Deleted user -

The problem is that I need combine some questions in the same Quiz: matching, multiple choice, true/false, essay... and essay questions must be evaluated each with a rubric.

Any idea for this?

Thanks Marcus

In reply to Deleted user

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Do they need to be in the same quiz?

Could the essays be set as a separate assignment (marked using the rubrics) and then use the course Gradebook categories to combine the scores into a single grade?

Richard

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Deleted user -

Until now we are doing it thus. The problem is that some courses have more than ten quizzes and each quiz can have an average of three essay questions, so that the course page is very stuffy.

For students it is somewhat confusing to have some questions in the quiz and other questions out.

For this reason I had the idea of trying to integrate the rubrics in the quiz.

Can you think of another idea to make it easier for students?

Thanks Richard

In reply to Deleted user

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I'm not sure Sergio - what about using conditional activities/restricted access to hide the quizes/essays/activities until they are relevant for the students to take? Or using the lesson module to guide the students through the activities with links to the quizes/essays as needed (the quizes/essay assignments themselves could be in a 'hidden' section of the course.)

These are just ideas - they may or may not be suitable for the way your courses are taught smile

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Deleted user -

Just ideas, good ideas. I will try them!

Thanks again Richard

In reply to Deleted user

by Jason Hardin -

I would consider waiting until we have the Activity grader interface in Moodle 2. See the specification here http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Activity_Grading_Interface_Specification.

The reason for this is that this interface already incorporates Rubrics, Checklist and marking guide in the interface for grading. Quiz would need to implement an interface for it but I think this dual panel approach would be better for grading than the scroll of death that could occur with your suggested interface. meaning the Rubric ends up far far below the actual answer and a user has to scroll back and forth.

Some design questions:

1. Would the rubric be attached to questions individually or to the entire quiz and all questions would use that rubric?
  2. Would a student be able to see the rubric and how their quiz questions were scored before or after the test. 

We originally wanted to add the grading of manually graded questions to the Activity grader interface for Quiz. We haven't gotten this request from clients yet, but it seems like a very powerful use of advanced grading and  activity grader if the UI is implemented well. 

In reply to Jason Hardin

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't think the Activity grader interface should let you do things that are not supported by the underlying activity. What I mean is, that if the Activity grader interface lets you grade essay questions in a quiz using a rubric, then that should work becuase you can grade essay questions using a rubric through the quiz/question UI too.

This is clearly something that needs to be implemented, but it requires someone who understands advanced grading methods and the question engine. The intersection of those two sets may well be empty at the moment.

It might well be possible for Sergio to hack together something that basically works, even if the code quality is not good enough to go into Moodle core. For him, or someone else, to try that, would be a useful learning experience. It would probably give us a better idea of what it would take to implement this properly.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jason Hardin -

I would concur Tim as a temporary measure both areas should support the same functionality. I don't see the need for both areas once Quiz is integrated into the activity grading interface.  Seems redundant, confusing and costly to maintain 2 grading interfaces per activity long term.

In reply to Jason Hardin

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Whether I agree with that or not depends on what you mean by "once Quiz is integrated into the activity grading interface".

How good is that integration going to be? If I am a teacher, reviewing one student's quiz attempt, then will I be one click away from grading (or editing the grade of) the essay response I am currently looking at?

Similarly, if I am looking at an assignment submission, in the context of the assignment module UI, will it be easy for me to grade it?

Also, note that what gets manually graded is the essay question attempt, not the quiz attempt.

Of course we should not maintain two grading interfaces long-term. However, Moodle is a modular system. Any integration between the activity grading system and a specific plug-in like the quiz, needs to be in mod_quiz.

In reply to Jason Hardin

by Deleted user -

1. It would be a good idea that the teachers choose than they prefer.

2. The same as in other activity type.

When can we test the new interface?

Thanks Jason!