General help

Disabling popup notifications in Moodle 2.4.1

Picture of Barrett Bristowe
Disabling popup notifications in Moodle 2.4.1

Hi guys,

Simple question, how do I disable popup notifications in Moodle 2.4.1?

We sent out a global message to our students notifying them of some maintenance work a few weeks ago. Unfortunately that date has now passed and the students are still getting the message we sent out, every time they log in and I cant find a way to turn this off?

The steps I've taken to disable popups notifications without success are:

• Site Admin->Plugins->Message outputs->Manage message outputs

Popup notification - set to output disabled

• Site Admin->Plugins->Message outputs->Default message outputs

I actually disallowed every output setting here, saved, logged back in as a student and the popup message continued to appear.

Is there another setting somewhere else I need to disable which I've missed? We're getting emails from disgruntled students over this and I hoping this is a simple fix!

Any help appreciated!

Thanks guys,

Barrett

Average of ratings: -
Re: Disabling popup notifications in Moodle 2.4.1

Anyone?

Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Are they actually clicking ON the message to go to their messages and read it? Because if they don't , and they just leave it in the pop up at the bottom right of the screen then it will keep coming back until they click on it to read it (even though they can probably read it from the bottom of the screen anyway)

Hi Mary,

Is it not possible to disable a function/setting within Moodle to stop this message popping up to save students having click the actual message and read it? The original message sent out refers to maintenance work carried out last month and is outdated.

Cheers,

Barrett

Picture of Marcus Wynwood

A sneaky way might be to just "hide" it with a bit of CSS in your theme.

This won't stop it existing, but it will stop it being seen.

Something like:

#newmessageoverlay {

display: none;

}