having problem with installing Moodle 2.5

having problem with installing Moodle 2.5

by Mia Cruz -
Number of replies: 31

Hi,

My name is Reina and I'm totally new to Moodle and would like to get a guide to successfully install it. I recently have tried to install it in Windows 7 using the download package for windows using XAMPP. The main concern here is that I do not know how to make it run automatically instead of going back to the folder I created in my local drive and start or stop it. I have attach a sample when I do not start Moodle. it tells me "This Page can't be displayed. I'm really desperate to find a solution since the past 4 days I have tried everything I could find but I cannot find anything that will help me. I will appreciate any help since I have to be able to install Moodle and run asap in the institute that uses it to be able to import courses they are offering.

I followed instructions with the loco host so I'm not sure how it actually works I've tried all but have not found anything that could bring Moodle to work so everyone (e.g. Students, teachers) are able to see it and interact with Moodle.

Thank You,

Reina Escalante

Attachment Localhost.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mia Cruz

Re: having problem with installing Moodle 2.5

by Chris Glass -

Renia,

I can help by remoting in and troubleshooting if that would work. 

One thing I would look at is to make sure SQL and Apache are running. If they are not, then you will have the results that you are getting. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chris Glass

by Mia Cruz -

How will I go to check that  SQL and Apache is running. Is there any way to have a guide as to re-install Moodle to make sure I'm placing it where it should be. Sorry I'm in a hurry to have it ready running to start with the courses. I attached a file that I can only see one thing running which is the MySQL, but not Apache. I will appreciate your help I really need to resolve this problem asap.

thank you for your response

Reina Escalante

Attachment XAMPP.PNG
In reply to Mia Cruz

by Chris Glass -

Hit the Start button for Apache.

What happens?

In reply to Chris Glass

by Mia Cruz -

I tried your suggestion before but for some reason it would not do anything. so I tried it for the second time and as for right now I was able to access Moodle automatically. Another question is how can I let others have access to it since my co-worker tried accessing it and she was not  able to from what I understand when I installed the Package I practically created the server which is in my computer correct?

They do have their own server my question is when we get access to that server how can I assign it to Moodle so it gets to be the server?

Thank you so much for your help Chris

In reply to Mia Cruz

by Chris Glass -

Is there a way we can remote in and I can set that up to you? I tried looking for some good instructions for you but did not find any. 

Let me know what your thoughts are. 

I can create instructions but it will be either tonight or Sunday.

In reply to Chris Glass

by Mia Cruz -
good afternoon chris at this moment I'm not able to remote but will be happy to do it at home and will also appreciate taking your time to create instructions. Sorry to ask but have another question. why is it that when i turn the computer off and come back on later my Apache, & Mysql is not running so i have to go to xampp control and run it. is there a way to keep them running at all times. i will and appreciate your guidance. thank you
In reply to Mia Cruz

by Jayesh Anandani -

What do you mean by "Computer off"? Shutdown,hibernate or just turn screen off?

In reply to Jayesh Anandani

by Mia Cruz -
sorry i did not clarify it i meant shutdown...to me more specific as my work day ends i technically shut my computer down so when i went back and tried it the next day, It gave me a message "this page can't be display" so i went back to xampp and find out that Apache and Mysql was not running. was wondering how can i keep them two running automatically at all times so i don't have to go back and run them everytime. thanks for your help guys i really do appreciate.
In reply to Mia Cruz

by Chris Glass -

Reina,

That is correct. You will have to start it every time you boot up. When you put the computer to sleep or hibernate, it should not be a problem. Go look back at the attachment that you added to this discussion. The dashboard has something on the left hand side called service. You need to select that and that will install XAMPP as a service. What this means is that it will start once the computer is started.

Before I give the instructions on how to access the sites from the network, I want to make a few points. First, you will need to know your IP address. However, most likely, your computer is not set to a static IP so it can possibly change down the road.

Second, if you are wanting to have multiple people to work on the Moodle, I would suggest to find an old computer and set up Moodle on that. Then you can set a static IP on that machine and everyone can access internally. I can help you set that up if you would like.  

Here is how to make it accessible from the network:

1. Go to the XAMPP dashboard.

2. Under Apache, click the config button and select httpd.conf

3. In the text document you will see the following:

#Listen 0.0.0.0:80
#Listen [::]:80
Listen 80

4. Remove the # on the listen 0.0.0.0:80

5. Where you see 0.0.0.0 you put in your IP address of your computer. 

6. Select save.

7. Hit Stop for Apache and then Start.

8. Try it from another computer on the network.

Let me know if you need further help.

In reply to Chris Glass

by Mia Cruz -

Good afternoon Chris

Sorry haven't had any chance to try what you suggested but definitely will try it once I have a chance. By the way I have few questions that I have done some research but could not find anything that I could use. I'm having trouble locating the Attendance Block in Moodle 2.5 I practically tried almost everything and do not have any idea where could it be....my second question is how or what plug in do I have to use to make the files I upload to open automatically instead of having the options of open, save and cancel.

I will appreciate it

Thank You

Attachment SAMPLE.PNG
In reply to Mia Cruz

Re: Installing Moodle in the Organization Server in windows environment

by Mia Cruz -

Sorry to bother Chris but I need of your guidance on how to install Moodle 2.5 in our own server. As from what I'm aware the Organization will be hosting it from their own server. any help would be much appreciated. As I install it in my computer as a testing now I'm looking to install it in the server in order to be ready to be a teaching resource. Would like to know if is the same steps that I should follow from before except that instead of given local host as my Web address I would assign the address of the organization correct? Your help would be much appreciated!!!!!

In reply to Mia Cruz

by Chris Glass -

Yes the same steps need to happen but make sure you have a static IP address for the computer/server. Then what is acting as the firewall or router, you need to open up the ports so you can get to the outside IP address. Once the internal IP address is connected to the outside IP address, then you need to set the DNS record to match the external address. Then you will be able to search by a URL

In reply to Chris Glass

by Mia Cruz -

Thank your for your quick response. I will definitely will try it thank you again.

In reply to Mia Cruz

Moodle 2.5 on a Windows Small Business Server 2011

by Mia Cruz -

Good Morning Chris

I'm back again to ask for your help. My question is when I try to download the package for a server I get about 64 files and I do not know if I'm in the correct path. The difference was that the first time I download it as a local host and now I'm trying to download the platform in a windows server. I hope I'm not bothering you.

Thanks lots for your help will be in debt and thank that we the newbies in Moodle have people like you. thank you again

Attachment FILES.PNG
In reply to Mia Cruz

Re: Moodle 2.5 on a Windows Small Business Server 2011

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

There should certainly be more than 64 files. But since you are looking only at the root, 64 may be the correct number of files and folders located there. On Debian, I count 62. Windows may count the . and .. making it 64.

In reply to Bret Miller

by Mia Cruz -

ok so sounds about right the number of files and how will I go by installing it in my Server since I've being trying and no luck. What I did was to install xampp for windows and from there I do not know where to go. Any guidance will be much appreciated.

In reply to Mia Cruz

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Dump the XAMPP package and install each of the components separately. XAMPP wasn't designed for production servers.

First get Apache running. Alternatively, since you're using a Windows operating system you could use IIS instead since it's already part of your operating system.

Create a site/virtual directory on the web server for Moodle.

Install PHP and make sure it's working by running PHPInfo().

Install your database engine (MySQL, Postgres, MSSQL or Oracle) and create a blank database for Moodle.

Download the current stable build of Moodle from http://download.moodle.org/, example: http://download.moodle.org/download.php/stable25/moodle-latest-25.zip

Extract it to the Moodle folder that you mapped the IIS/Apache website to.

Create the Moodle config.php file by copying and renaming the config-dist.php file. Edit the config.php file and add all the required fields e.g. $cfg->wwwroot...

Open the website that you created in IIS/Apache. It should detect a new installation and start the Moodle setup. Follow the instructions on the screen...

All this is documented in much more detail on http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Installing_Moodle

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Ok, I understand that doing all that could seriously freak somebody out if you have no experience with all of that "server stuff".

So, you could also try using the Windows Platform Installer http://www.microsoft.com/web/gallery/moodle.aspx, but again, I wouldn't use that for a PRODUCTION server where students are logging in and doing real-life courses...

by Mia Cruz -

first of all thank you guys for your support and definitely it has been a hassle. I currently used XAMPP but having trouble trying to run Apache it tells me that the port 80 and 443 is use by "system" and so what I did was went to httpd.config and the http-ssl.config and changed it to 8080, and 4499 but now for some reason it gives the PID on the MySQL keeps changing and I do not know so I read your suggesting and it looks like I could unistalled xampp and try ISS is that correct?.......thanks guys

In reply to Mia Cruz

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Mia,

Make sure you don't have any running processes using those ports. For example, Skype should not be running when you try to start your web/data servers. Also, as you are working with Windows server, make sure that IIS (Internet Information Server) is not running.

You shouldn't have any problems using XAMPP, I've worked with old installations using XAMPP under Windows Server 2003... not the best option from any point of view, but it works.

Have you actually read the documentation? If not, give it a try:

http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Installing_Moodle

by Mia Cruz -

Good morning Luis

I'm trying to follow your instructions but have few questions:

You said to get Apache running or I could use IIS instead correct? I know both are Web servers so I'm kind of confused here. I've done some research on the Apache/IIS where you can install them both at the same time is that a good idea since you said install each component separately I'm aware that they both run on port 80 if so can i change it or i mean is it necessary?...sorry I'm practically a newbie with the installation and hope to get any guidance to accomplish this task in no time.  Thanks for your help.

In reply to Mia Cruz

by Bret Miller -

You can use different port numbers or different IP addresses to get both running. But since Windows runs IIS already, why not just use it?

Changing the port number means you'll get URL's like http://www.example.com:8080. I personally don't like doing that because some people have concept issues getting to sites that way. It tends to increase help desk calls.

It's been a long time since I've had to use multiple web servers on a single server, so I don't know how to limit IIS to grabbing only the IP addresses you want it to in newer Windows versions.

So I would set up IIS, install MySQL or MariaDB (assuming you don't already have MSSQL) and PHP.

In reply to Bret Miller

by Mia Cruz -

Thank you very much for your response and will go for it with what you suggested. The thing is that i need Make it run asap since before i tried it as a local host on my own computer but now my task is to do it on the server. thanks for your support.

In reply to Mia Cruz

by Andrew Morris -

For heavens sake put Moodle on what it was designed on - LAMP. I've never heard of anything so absurd as trying to run it on Windows Small Business Server 2011.

It's not that difficult just takes some time learning the backend  - it'll pay you back many many times.

In reply to Andrew Morris

by Bret Miller -

While I run Moodle on LAMP as you suggest, I have noted that quite a lot people also run it on Windows using IIS and MSSQL. As a generalization, organizations with a Windows Small Business Server probably have just that one server, and that is probably their only connection to the internet. While I realize that many hosting companies provide decent Moodle environments for pretty low cost, telling an non-IT person who is struggling with using the Windows GUI to implement this to learn a command-line based server environment isn't realistic. Now if they got a web host who offered an up-to-date Moodle as a one-click install, then maybe they'd have a chance...

But that's not what she asked...

In reply to Andrew Morris

by Ken Task -

Realize this response is also 'not what she asked' ... some thoughts to consider, however ...

+1 for installing on Linux - for a number of reasons, but for SBS ...

please see: http://bit.ly/12TBqWq

If I were to lease something, I'd want to lease service/bandwidth/support ... not the same software (with security fixes) with annual(?) CAL cost.  Never understood 'CALS', cept another way $MS could dig into my pockets!

It's not a Windows World.  Never was when it comes to internet servers.  M$ was 'late to the party' then ... and it's still late today.

Not the most recent, but will suffice:

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2013/04/02/april-2013-web-server-survey.html

The only reason M$ numbers are as high as they are: GoDaddy (think it was them) used IIS servers for 'parked domains' - ie, not in production.

Easy install is only the tip of the iceburg when it comes to open source software and serving from the web.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Mia Cruz

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Silence all round, if you please! “William the Conqueror, whose cause was favoured by the pope, was soon submitted to by the English, who wanted leaders, and had been of late much accustomed to usurpation and conquest. Edwin and Morcar, the earls of Mercia and Northumbria —”’

‘Ugh!’ said the Lory, with a shiver.

‘I beg your pardon!’ said the Mouse, frowning, but very politely: ‘Did you speak?’

‘Not I!’ said the Lory hastily.

‘I thought you did,’ said the Mouse. ‘— I proceed. “Edwin and Morcar, the earls of Mercia and Northumbria, declared for him: and even Stigand, the patriotic archbishop of Canterbury, found it advisable —”’

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/c/carroll/lewis/alice/chapter3.html
smile
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Ken Task -

@Visvanath

Point taken ... I'll shutup! ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Ken

I know, that was mean. Nice that you took it with a smile.
wink

It is so frustrating to see people going through this torture where so much more elegant, and free, solutions are waiting to be discovered.

===
”— found it advisable to go with Edgar Atheling to meet William and offer him the crown. William’s conduct at first was moderate. But the insolence of his Normans —” How are you getting on now, my dear?’ it continued, turning to Alice as it spoke.

‘As wet as ever,’ said Alice in a melancholy tone: ‘it doesn’t seem to dry me at all.’

‘In that case,’ said the Dodo solemnly, rising to its feet, ‘I move that the meeting adjourn, for the immediate adoption of more energetic remedies —’

Re: Moodle 2.5 Virtual Directory/EmptyDatabase

by Mia Cruz -

hello,

I have somehow installed Apache,PHP , and Mysql and well I'm having trouble to create the virtual directory on the web server(apache). I've read many sites and I can't make sense on how to do it. I've tried pretty much everything but do not know how to accomplish to create that virtual directory. by the way I also have a question when i install Mysql Luis mentioned to create a blank database for moodle does that mean in mysql or do i have to install myphpadmin well I do not know exactly how i would go by doing it. that is what i need to proceed with the installation. Help please!!!!!

thanks

In reply to Mia Cruz

by Bret Miller -

I agree. Dump XAMPP and install the components you need separately. Since you're running on Windows, why not use IIS? You'll need a database engine--could be MSSQL (even the express version) or MySQL. You'll need PHP along with all the extensions you need for Moodle. Once you have those in place, copy the files to the website directory, edit config.php to point at the right paths, and you should be able to begin the install.