Upgraded from 1.9.4 to 2.5+ still no email function HELP Please

Upgraded from 1.9.4 to 2.5+ still no email function HELP Please

by Billy Knox -
Number of replies: 8

I have upgraded from 1.9.4 to1.9.19 to 2.2.9+ to 2.3.7+ to 2.5+  In doing so, a couple of problems I had fixed themselves, but I still cannot send emails.  It worked for a while when I installed 1.9.4 about 4 years ago... then it stopped.  Notifications of completed assignments were the first thing I noticed and then, obviously, I noticed all email functions ceased.  This has gone on for over a year and I upgraded over the last few days to no avail on this issue.

I have tried setting setup the SMTP information although I rather the default PHP handle the email.  Still will not work... I got the settings directly from my cPanel.

After the latest upgrade to 2.5+ I receive the following debugging information:

Warning: logged very long URL
  • line 1589 of /lib/datalib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 5675 of /lib/moodlelib.php: call to add_to_log()
  • line 69 of /message/output/email/message_output_email.php: call to email_to_user()
  • line 212 of /lib/messagelib.php: call to message_output_email->send_message()
  • line 2078 of /message/lib.php: call to message_send()
  • line 150 of /user/messageselect.php: call to message_post_message()
Error calling message processor email
  • line 213 of /lib/messagelib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 2078 of /message/lib.php: call to message_send()
  • line 150 of /user/messageselect.php: call to message_post_message()

I know very little about PHP.  Can someone please help?  I have searched off and on for the last year and for hours over the past few days to find a solution.

I am on a shared server using

PHP 5.4.15

SQL 5.5.31

and Moodle 2.5+

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Billy Knox

Re: Upgraded from 1.9.4 to 2.5+ still no email function HELP Please

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Judging from what was shared at this point ... remotely hosted on Linux but ... what hosting provider? and what hosting package?  As I understand it, some remotely hosted providers will not allow any app to distribute mail over a certain number of messages (in some cases total number of messages in a session/day).  Provider might have a policy like that with whatever package you have purchased.  They also just kill the processes ... so even if one has debugging turned on, Moodle won't get any reason for failure.  But, the long url is a new one ... at least to me.

A typical install of Moodle tar.gz on a Linux host (standalone or virtual private system) probably defaults to sendmail or postfix.  Even when sending mail via an SMTP host, moodle needs an MTA (mail transfer agent) ... a 'sender' so to speak (just like one wanting to send EMail from a laptop ... gotta have a local EMail app that can send).

Check with provider about your package and EMail from apps.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Billy Knox -

Thanks Ken.

My provider in justhost and the package in Justpak with cPanel 11.3.6 (build 3).  I have webmail through the server and used the manual smtp settings given for setting up a client configuration. 

I'll contact customer support to see if they can help as well.  If you have any other ideas please let me know.

In reply to Billy Knox

by Ken Task -

Can't find any description of Justpak, but justhost does have a knowledgebase that makes for interesting reading. 

https://my.justhost.com/cgi/help/tag/kb_article

For one, I saw a recommendation that customers change their STMP port to 26.  PHPMyAdmin limited to 50M imports ... larger than that, one has to use command line.   Ahhhh, if you are willing to work from command line, ssh is available (but you have to request setup and verify etc.).  The operating system is CentOS 6.4.  If you haven't run into PHP scripts needing more memory, longer running time, etc., check the following link out as you will have to do PHP settings this way:

https://my.justhost.com/cgi/help/110

The only specific reference they have for Moodle is related to the location of the config.php file.

From what I can find, looks like they use Exim as their MTA:

https://my.justhost.com/cgi/help/2228

In many years of administering internet servers (of all three flavors) I eventually decided the real power is on the command line.  It's a learning curve, but we do what we must (and it's not all that bad, especially when one can see results almost immediately).

justhost even has a little help:

https://my.justhost.com/cgi/help/203

All in all, I'd say one has to learn what the hosting provider is providing and how to do xyz using their system!

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Billy Knox -

I am corresponding with customer service via email on the issue.  In the meanwhile, I had noted the port 26 and changed the setting in the config.php file (it was set for 25).

In reading the knowledge base last night, I found the article on Exim, as well, and am inquiring about that with customer service.

The 50M import limit hasn't come into play yet.  But once again, much of the software/languages are new to me (PHP, SQL, CentOS, etc.).  I have already learned alot (in my opinion) working with moodle, upgrading using PHPMYAdmin, dumping, etc. But apparently I have a lot more to learn... I am totally unfamiliar with SSH, but like you said "we do what we must."

I'll do some more reading on the articles you pointed out and hopefully we can get the email functional and I can do some more research and get on the learning curve.

In reply to Billy Knox

by Ken Task -

Apologize if I sounded 'harsh'.  The more I learn about remotely hosted systems (through their KB's/FAQ's, etc.) the more am convinced that shared systems, although cheap and affordable, just don't offer what's needed to run a robust app like Moodle 2.x.

And, unless they have an 'interested' support person who 'likes' Moodle and willing to dig a little themselves, then it's tough on customers.  Unfortunately, unless someone in Moodle.org forums just happens to host on the same shared system as you and has gone down the same paths/trials and tribulations, most respones to questions you have will be an educated guess or generic in nature (ie, not very specific).

Hang in there!  It could be worse! ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Billy Knox -

Great News!! Justhost was able to fix my issue.  The problem was in the mdle_config table.  They simply went into myPHPAdmin and edited the table changing the noreply address removing the "www."

Hope this helps others

In reply to Billy Knox

by Fabio Leite de Araujo -

Amigo sou do Brasil e estou sofrendo muito com isso também, vc poderia dar mais detalhes da resolução do seu problema?

In reply to Fabio Leite de Araujo

by Fabio Leite de Araujo -

Amigo seguindo sua dica acho que resolvi o meu problema também, muito obrigado pela sua caridade de ter postado a solução do seu problema aqui também!