1.9 mod/glossary in 2.5

1.9 mod/glossary in 2.5

by Mike Jaroch -
Number of replies: 8

Wonder what would happen if I used the /mod/glossary from 1.9 in 2.5? Of course I would leave the db folder alone. Has anyone tried this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Jaroch

Re: 1.9 mod/glossary in 2.5

by Mike Jaroch -

The answer is...... errors

Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_record() in /var/www/moodle/mod/glossary/lib.php on line 536

Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_record() in /var/www/moodle/mod/glossary/settings.php on line 59

So I put lib.php and settings.php back to the 2.5 version. Ajax window comes back but throws a syntax error. 

Now I at least have an idea where to look for changing the glossary action. Might need to set up a demo site to keep from messing up my live site. 

In reply to Mike Jaroch

by Mike Jaroch -

Turns out that the errors were not helpful at all. settings.php and lib.php in both versions were the same with the exception of a comment on the first line. Time to go read more about moodle/moodle dev stuff. 

In reply to Mike Jaroch

by Helen Foster -
iTaba kei {Sa} iTaba kei {Sa} iTaba kei {Sa} iTaba kei {Sa} iTaba kei {Sa} iTaba kei {Sa} iTaba kei {Sa}

Hi Mike,

Can you explain why you wish to use the 1.9 glossary in 2.5, rather than using the default glossary in 2.5?

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Mike Jaroch -

I am slowly but surely building Linux courses to help people get the LPI 1-3 certs. Using the glossary for the commands worked well with the old style pop-up. With the new style it make long entries hard to read.  

In reply to Mike Jaroch

by Joseph Rézeau -
iTaba kei {Sa} iTaba kei {Sa} iTaba kei {Sa} iTaba kei {Sa} iTaba kei {Sa}

Thanks for explaining, Mike.

I agree that the move from the old popup windows to the new style (Javascript?) popup makes it more difficult to display some Glossary definitions in a user-friendly way.

It would be nice if the Glossary settings offered a choice (site-wide or course-wide) of the old and the new popup styles. In the meantime, could you please post a screenshot displaying your problem?

Joseph

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Mike Jaroch -

Screen shot is from http://here2serve.biz/mod/page/view.php?id=52  It's the cat command. The java window blocks the course material, and is not move-able.

So lets say I have a command example glossary, command glossary and text. If a student opens the glossary link they can not do a side by side comparison. They can scroll down but comparing an example side by side and move able would be helpful. It also makes it difficult to compare the entry to the course text. 

Attachment Screenshot from 2013-06-05 211344.png
In reply to Mike Jaroch

by Joseph Rézeau -
iTaba kei {Sa} iTaba kei {Sa} iTaba kei {Sa} iTaba kei {Sa} iTaba kei {Sa}

Hi Mike, thanks for the screenshot and the explanations. You might like to have a look and vote for issue MDL-23535 :: Should glossary autolinker popup look more like the help overlay? which I reported almost 3 years ago and is still "unresolved".

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Mike Jaroch -

Doing it like the help overlay would be much better for me. Since much of my course revolves around glossary usage having it come up with the header/footer and bread crumbs would be nice. 

Voted for the issue. Since I'm systems guy and not a programer I've had difficulty in finding where to change it. I had thought I could use the files from an older moodle version to make the change. Nope.

I've contacted theme devs to see what it would cost to do it. According to them the glossary popup can not be handled by a theme change.