Need help in Forum

Need help in Forum

by Hemanth Gottimukkala -
Number of replies: 3

Hi everyone,

I am new to moodle & I have been assigned to the functionality, where in modle all the roles can create a discussion topic in forum and also participate in discussions created by others, as shown in the attachment. I tried the same, but I could not get the correct process.  (confused with 'turn editing on', getting an error of missing parameter if directly calling url)

Thanks in Advance.

Attachment Forum.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hemanth Gottimukkala

Re: Need help in Forum

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello there and welcome to Moodle. I'm not quite sure what you mean, so if you could give more details it would be helpful. Could you post a screenshot of the error message you are getting and can you say what exactly you are trying to do when the message comes up?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Hemanth Gottimukkala -

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your reply. Please do correct me anywhere if I am wrong.

1) As per my understanding forum functionality in moodle is dependant on course. Cant we have general forums to all the courses. If yes, could you please let me know how to get to that general forum.

2) Students, Course Creators and others should be able to create a new topic in that forum. I know this feature is there in moodle but could not get create topic button for student.

In reply to Hemanth Gottimukkala

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there.

(1) No; there isn't a general forum for all courses unless you make a course and enrol everyone on the site in it.

(2) Students by default should be able to create a new topic in the forum but NOT if you are using the news forum which appears at the top of every new course in Moodle. Turn on the editing and click to add an activity or resource and add a forum elsewhere in the course page   -use the standard forum type. Also, please see #1 in Forum FAQ