Nobody can log in (including administrator)

Nobody can log in (including administrator)

by Andrew Millichamp -
Number of replies: 46

We've suddenly found today that the login has stopped working. When a user submits the form it just reloads the login page. This is for all users including myself as administrator.

We are using Moodle on shared hosting and I've run a database check in CPanel which shows all tables to be okay.  I'm not sure what else to try.

Any suggestions?

We are using Moodle 1.9.2+ (Build: 20081008), PHP 5.2.17, MySql 5.1.68.

(We only use this install of Moodle occasionally with a handful of users. We have recently installed a new version on a dedicated server as we are going to be using it more, but we need the current group of users to finish on the old version)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Millichamp

Re: Nobody can log in (including administrator)

by Andrea Bicciolo -
Hi Andrew,

Moodle 1.9.x by default writes sessions to the moodledata folder. As first check you may want to verify if for some reason your disk space filled up. If it is the case, usually removing unnecessary files should fix the login problem.
In reply to Andrea Bicciolo

by Andrew Millichamp -

Thanks, Andrea. There is plenty of free space on our hosting account, but just to make sure, I've deleted some old files from Moodledata, and also successfully uploaded a new file to the folder by FTP to make sure new files can be written. 

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

First: can you check apache error logs?  That might give you a clue.  Has service provider upgraded the PHP on your shared host?

Second: Copy the debug lines from the config-dist.php file and insert them into the active config.php file.

Then attempt to login.  Copy and paste the text ouput by debug (if any) in back here.

Add the following to your config.php file:

$CFG->dbsessions=0;

This turns off the recording of session information in the DB and tells Moodle to use the data directories 'sessions' folder.

Then attempt to login ... if failed again ... check the data folder.  Was sessions folder created by Moodle? and can one see sessions files contained therein?

1.9.2 is really old and very behind in security patches/updates.   Let's hope that's not the issue.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Andrew Millichamp -

Thanks for the reply, Ken.

I wsan't sure which debug lines I needed to add, so I've added all of these:

define('MDL_PERF' , true);
define('MDL_PERFDB' , true);
define('MDL_PERFTOLOG' , true);
define('MDL_PERFTOFOOT', true);
$CFG->dblogerror = true;
$CFG->logsql = true;

I'm not getting any debug code appearing, but we use a custom login page. It's a page on our site with a login form which is submitted to the Moodle login page. On error, the login page reloads the custom page with an error code in the URL. I don't know how to disable the custom page so that we can use the Moodle login page.

I've also added the line "$CFG->dbsessions=0;" to the Congif and confirmed that a session was added to the folder when I tied to login. I've attached a copy of the file, with added carriage returns. The beginning of the file reads:

"SESSION|O:6:"object":11:{s:12:"session_test";s:10:"TJN6u3Cnb2";s:13:"has_timed_out";

Is it notable that the words has_timed_out are in this file?

by Ken Task -

Well, isn't this 'special'!  The latest and greatest config-dist.php file no longer shows lines for turning on Debugging.   Hmmmm ...

The lines you are using (the only ones you could find in your config-dist.php file) are supposedly for showing info at the bottom of the front page (or other pages) and I assume when using the 'standard' theme.

So, please remove them and try inserting these ... please HEED the warning comments:

//=========================================================================
// 7. SETTINGS FOR DEVELOPMENT SERVERS - not intended for production use!!!
//=========================================================================
//
// Force a debugging mode regardless the settings in the site administration
// @error_reporting(E_ALL | E_STRICT); // NOT FOR PRODUCTION SERVERS!
// @ini_set('display_errors', '1');    // NOT FOR PRODUCTION SERVERS!
// $CFG->debug = (E_ALL | E_STRICT);   // === DEBUG_DEVELOPER - NOT FOR PRODUCTION SERVERS!
// $CFG->debugdisplay = 1;             // NOT FOR PRODUCTION SERVERS!

Uncomment all lines (just the first comment symbols // below the // Force a debugging ....

You can leave the trailing // CAPS warnings.  Lines should NOT word wrap.

No need to restart anything, just access something on the Moodle.

And yes, that timing out is, I would think, significant.

Since changing to files based for sessions, what you are using is in affect the path to your moodledata folder.  That could be a mount point for another file system on another server.  If you had command line root access I'd ask you to do a 'df' command to see 'disk free space' information ... which would also disclose any mount points/files systems NOT actually on the web server.  You might have a GUI tool to do that.

That would prevent any all from logging on ... just like being out of space.  Might be communications error between web server and the remote file system mount point.  Dunno.  Suggest contacting the true server administrator and inquire/share the issue with them.

OR ... did you use a REAL student user and attempted to login as them?  Is there an account called 'session test'?  And what is the default authentication for the site?  LDAP? or other?

s:12:"session_test";
 s:10:"TJN6u3Cnb2";
 s:13:"has_timed_out";

top three lines of the text file you've shared show the above.  Have really no idea what s:## mean, but from the looks of 12 and 10, could be username and password? ... 13 would then/might refer where Moodle is attempting to go to lookup the user login/pass.

Strange stuff ... never seen before.  So might be time to dig into any logging your server is doing ... apache error log, php logging if on, etc..

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Andrew Millichamp -

I've added the debug code you've kindly posted and get the following errors/warnings:

Strict Standards: Creating default object from empty value in /home/ntrl/public_html/moodle/theme/ntrllogo/config.php on line 9

Strict Standards: Declaration of auth_plugin_manual::user_confirm() should be compatible with that of auth_plugin_base::user_confirm() in/home/ntrl/public_html/moodle/auth/manual/auth.php on line 23

Strict Standards: Creating default object from empty value in /home/ntrl/public_html/moodle/login/index.php on line 278

I'm no expert, but they look like warnings to me rather than errors. The first one is a line which is only executed if the version is 1.7 or older (I checked and it's definitely not being executed).

Ken Task Wrote: "did you use a REAL student user and attempted to login as them?  Is there an account called 'session test'?"

I've been trying to log on as admin. But I've also tried a real teacher and a real student. No, there is no account called session test. Looking at the code again, I'm guessing that's just part of Moodle's session handling and S:10 is the session key. As the login is failing, it's not creating a new session key so the key stored is out of date (timed out). Just a guess though.

Ken Task Wrote: "what is the default authentication for the site?  LDAP? or other?"

No idea! Whatever the default is. I did a quick search and it looks like you have to set up LDAP and I don't remember doing that. Is there a way i can find out? Presumably there are some settings in the DB. 

I'll also get onto the server host and see what I can get from them.

by Ken Task -

Looks like ntrllogo line 9 has an issue.
Go to theme/ntrllogo/ and look at config.php line 9.

According to error looks like using manual: auth_plugin_manual for authentications.

Could be theme related.  One could add:

$CFG->theme=standardwhite;

to force Moodle to use another theme.

Could be other tables have also gotten corrupted and are in need of repair.  Check a few … like mdl_config and mdl_course.  Those should be in any version of 1.9.

Hate to say this, but hope you have either course backups or site backups.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by stephen difc -

I'm having the same problem and the same error messages. I ran a check on the DB and it came out as OK. I also forced the theme but the problem remains. Any ideas? I check the session and basically all the other things that was suggested above.

by Ken Task -

@ Andrew  ... 'custom login page' ...

Try this.  To config.php add a line:

$CFG->alternateloginurl="";

You might have to archive your login.php file (whatever you customized) and then replace those archived files with standard/stock php files from a unzipped version of Moodle.  Unzip Moodle locally and upload only those files that were customized.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

What nobody seems to have picked up on... when you say "it reloads the login page", do you *literally* mean that or do you actually see an 'invalid login' message?

If the latter, what happens when you try to do the lost-password procedure?

In reply to Howard Miller

by stephen difc -

Well, when I do a recover lost password, no email is sent. And the page just reloads. Not even a "invalid login" message. Here are my error messages

Strict Standards: Creating default object from empty value in /home/difcie/public_html/moodle/theme/formal_white/config.php on line 8

Strict Standards: Declaration of auth_plugin_manual::user_confirm() should be compatible with that of auth_plugin_base::user_confirm() in /home/difcie/public_html/moodle/auth/manual/auth.php on line 23

Strict Standards: Creating default object from empty value in /home/difcie/public_html/moodle/login/index.php on line 302

In reply to stephen difc

by Ken Task -

Are you sure about your version of PHP?  Wonder if your hosting provider has 'done you a favor'?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by stephen difc -

Any work around for this? Is it the case that updating php would break moodle?

In reply to stephen difc

by Ken Task -

We've two persons with the same errors report, but only one has provided hosting provider, PHP version, version of Moodle, etc..   Those technical details are necessary to provide any suggestions as to a fix or what to ask your provider.  Not all remotely hosted systems are same ... shared hosting plans/packages are usually restrictive ... and some may not offer the version of PHP required for the version of Moodle one desires to run.

@stephen ...

provider:

What does provider offer in the way of versions of PHP?   Is there a provider FAQ page?

php version:

version of Moodle:

Not sure it's worth installing or running anything of Moodle below what is supported for fixes to code and security updates.   Check the downloads page for versioning information/status of Moodle version.  After having done that, check your provider's offerings of packages/systems/setups.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by stephen difc -

Also, I just did a fresh install of 2.0.10 and get these errors

Strict Standards: Declaration of auth_plugin_manual::user_confirm() should be compatible with that of auth_plugin_base::user_confirm() in /home/difcie/public_html/moodle2/auth/manual/auth.php on line 39

Strict Standards: Creating default object from empty value in /home/difcie/public_html/moodle2/login/index.php on line 292

In reply to stephen difc

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Stephen... really easy question. What is your version of PHP?

BTW... that's an old, now unsupported version of Moodle (2.0). It has a lot of strict standards warnings but they are just that - warnings.

by stephen difc -

PHP version 5.2.17

In reply to stephen difc

by Howard Miller -

I'd have been a lot happier if you'd said 5.3.something but that *should* work.

In reply to stephen difc

by Ken Task -

Moodle 2.0.10 - Requires PHP 5.2.8

All higher/more secure versions of Moodle require 5.3.2 and up.
PHP 5.3.3 for version 2.6.x

Also a really easy questions: is site remotely hosted?  If so, who is provider?   Most 'good' providers have upgraded their PHP by now.  Most providers also have an FAQ page ... or something for customers that might describe how to use a higher version of PHP on their systems.

If it is not remotely hosted, what is your setup?

Upgrading PHP might be required that's why the question about setup/system.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Howard Miller -

Ken,

Unless I am missing something, that's what I said - his version should work. However, 5.3.3 or newer was recommended.

Stephen - I really wish you had started a new thread (I should have split it, but it's a bit late now). Can we start again. What *exactly* is your problem and what *exactly* are the error messages you are having. I don't think you ever really said.

by stephen difc -

I added to this thread because my problems are the same the the original. All of a sudden (since Monday) no one can log in. When you enter the details the page reloads after a few seconds and no error or failed log in message is displayed. I tired the suggestions on another post (like what the original person here did) and nothing seemed to fixed it. For example, checking sessions were working, and the salt is okay. The problem remains even after a fresh install of Moodle. I noticed no one offered a solution at the bottom of the thread so I added to it, in the hope someone found a answer at this point. If it helps, atutor works fine when I tired to install it. I don't know how similar the systems are but maybe that helps. I posted the error messages (which I think match the original posters error message). Although as point out, they are more "warnings" rather than error messages. I feel the update broke something (if php was updated). So it is my hope that someone can say on line X in file Y.php replace "this" what "that". Maybe I could try the absolute lowest version of moodle compatible with my version of php? What would that be? (It may not be on the download pages). My students have exams next week, so I would love to have this fixed asap. Thanks guys for all your help!

In reply to stephen difc

by Howard Miller -

Ok - so let's recap...

- You are running Moodle 2.0.10 (you've just upgraded)
- I assume you had no errors or issues in the upgrade? Did you properly follow the upgrade instructions? You didn't do something like copying the new files over the top of the old? What version were you running before the upgrade?- You have debugging switched on? The only errors you see on the screen are those strict standard warnings (which we discount), absolutely nothing else?
- Have you checked the web server error log, is there anything else in there?
- Your users are 'manual' accounts - or, at least, your admin user is?
- You *definitely* don't get an 'Invalid login' message. The page just reloads?
- You have tried this from more than one computer/location/browser (I hope)?

It's very odd that you don't get an Invalid login message. That's is the result if nearly all login problems.

Is it possible that I can get full access to your hosting/Moodle. I don't mind having a look because I' running out of ideas.

by stephen difc -

I'm running moodle 1.9 and in a different location have moodle 2.0.10. I turned the debug on in the config.php (yes?). Manual accounts yes. Not a single student can log in anywhere on anything thing. And I am 100% sure I do not get an invalid login message. The problem happened on Monday and I installed 2.0.10 a few days ago. It is independent of 1.9, different database, url, etc etc. I have since removed 2.0.10 and put in place atutor. So on the server is the school's website, moodle and atutor (3 sql database limit you see). The folder is not full, it can write to it. Etc. Now when I try to log in it makes no error messages but when I do "log in as guest" it makes this...

[Sun Dec 15 16:19:32 2013] [error] [client 86.155.67.248] PHP Warning:  include() [<a href='function.include'>function.include</a>]: Failed opening '' for inclusion (include_path='/home/difcie/public_html/moodle/lib/pear:.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/difcie/public_html/moodle/lib/weblib.php on line 3079
[Sun Dec 15 16:19:32 2013] [error] [client 86.155.67.248] PHP Warning:  include() [<a href='function.include'>function.include</a>]: Filename cannot be empty in /home/difcie/public_html/moodle/lib/weblib.php on line 3079
[Sun Dec 15 16:19:32 2013] [error] [client 86.155.67.248] PHP Warning:  include() [<a href='function.include'>function.include</a>]: Filename cannot be empty in /home/difcie/public_html/moodle/lib/weblib.php on line 3079
[Sun Dec 15 16:19:32 2013] [error] [client 86.155.67.248] PHP Notice:  Undefined property: stdClass::$footer in /home/difcie/public_html/moodle/lib/weblib.php on line 3079
[Sun Dec 15 16:19:32 2013] [error] [client 86.155.67.248] PHP Warning:  include() [<a href='function.include'>function.include</a>]: Failed opening '' for inclusion (include_path='/home/difcie/public_html/moodle/lib/pear:.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/difcie/public_html/moodle/lib/weblib.php on line 2735
[Sun Dec 15 16:19:32 2013] [error] [client 86.155.67.248] PHP Warning:  include() [<a href='function.include'>function.include</a>]: Filename cannot be empty in /home/difcie/public_html/moodle/lib/weblib.php on line 2735
[Sun Dec 15 16:19:32 2013] [error] [client 86.155.67.248] PHP Warning:  include() [<a href='function.include'>function.include</a>]: Filename cannot be empty in /home/difcie/public_html/moodle/lib/weblib.php on line 2735
[Sun Dec 15 16:19:32 2013] [error] [client 86.155.67.248] PHP Notice:  Undefined property: stdClass::$header in /home/difcie/public_html/moodle/lib/weblib.php on line 2735
[Sun Dec 15 16:19:32 2013] [error] [client 86.155.67.248] PHP Notice:  Trying to get property of non-object in /home/difcie/public_html/moodle/lib/weblib.php on line 2558
[Sun Dec 15 16:19:32 2013] [error] [client 86.155.67.248] PHP Warning:  Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/difcie/public_html/moodle/lib/weblib.php on line 2541
[Sun Dec 15 16:19:32 2013] [error] [client 86.155.67.248] PHP Notice:  Undefined property: stdClass::$stylesheets in /home/difcie/public_html/moodle/lib/weblib.php on line 2541
[Sun Dec 15 16:19:32 2013] [error] [client 86.155.67.248] PHP Notice:  Undefined property: stdClass::$allowthemechangeonurl in /home/difcie/public_html/moodle/lib/setup.php on line 640
[Sun Dec 15 16:19:26 2013] [error] [client 46.118.122.238] File does not exist: /home/difcie/public_html/406.shtml, referer: http://www.difc.ie/about_contact-form-addon.php
[Sun Dec 15 16:19:12 2013] [error] [client 86.155.67.248] File does not exist: /home/difcie/public_html/404.shtml
[Sun Dec 15 16:19:12 2013] [error] [client 86.155.67.248] script '/home/difcie/public_html/moodle/test.php' not found or unable to stat

In reply to stephen difc

by Howard Miller -

Sorry I'm confused. Is the site you are having problems with 1.9 or 2.0?? Please be clear about the site having problems.

Sorry (again) - I have no idea what atutor is. What does this have to do with it?

Something is strange with your site, try - http://www.difc.ie/moodle/index.php?theme=standard

Should either flip the theme or do nothing (depending on that being allowed) but it goes nuts. I'm thinking you have muddled up code. Are you absolutely 100% sure that this is pure Moodle code? Where did you get it from and is there not possibility it got 'contaminated' with a different version of Moodle.

by stephen difc -

The problem is with 1.9 and when I installed 2.0 (in the hope of getting a moodle version working, so in the worst case, the teachers can transfer files into the new moodle). The problem is also with moodle 2.0. If the code if messed up, I can replace the broken files with freshly downloaded ones. I tired replacing index.php in login and still no joy.

In reply to stephen difc

by Howard Miller -

If I was a grumpy person, I would be a bit annoyed that you told us your site was 2.0.10 and now say the problem is with 1.9. Lucky for you I'm not wink

So... are you saying your 1.9 site "just stopped working"?  If so, what changed? However unrelated it seems to you. Even if you painted your front door a different colour. What changed round about the time it stopped working?

by stephen difc -

The problem is with both, 1.9 and 2.0. The same problem for both versions of Moodle on the server. On Monday, 1.9 stopped working, nothing was done by us, it just stopped. I installed a seperate moodle 2.0 and it has the same problem (in the hope of having a plan B). I would like any of the two to work. Since neither moodle is working I removed 2.0 and now have just 1.9. But I can easily fresh install it again if that helps to solve this problem. And atutor is now installed instead of 2.0, as emergency plan C, the school can switch over to this other platform, this would be worst case since it would require retraining. Now someone suggest a PHP upgrade broke it but someone else here said that shouldn't be a problem. And I see in the log errors I posted when I try to log in as guest I get a lot of php problems with "include()".

In reply to stephen difc

by Howard Miller -

It didn't *just* stop working. Something happened. The most likely explanations are...

- somebody upgraded something on the server (possibly without telling you)
- you ran out of some resource (e.g. disk space - have you checked?)
- something got changed in the Moodle setup

Whatever it is may seem completely unrelated but it was something. I absolutely guarantee it. It's could be easiest to go and work out what.

Alternatively, as I say, if you want to PM me the admin details of your hosting I don't mind having a quick look. This is a bargain offer not to be repeated wink

by stephen difc -

I'm the admin for Moodle, so no changes by me. The usage is good and no news reported for updates on http://news.hostingireland.ie. Of course, something changed and it seems unclear from me what changed but if it was a PHP upgrade then should Moodle still not work? Any insight from the error messages I posted?

In reply to stephen difc

by Howard Miller -

I don't know... I'm not holding anything back. I've had a look at the code in these areas (I'm not sure what version of 1.9 you are running - not the latest certainly) and it looks like it hasn't set itself up properly for some reason. All those warning are for missing $CFG settings. Which, again, is strange. Could be a complete red-herring though.

This is why I am offering to take a look. Last chance - won't ask again wink

by stephen difc -

Thanks Howard, but I would need permission to hand out the school's login details.

In reply to stephen difc

by Howard Miller -

Yep - offer stands though. Unless anybody has a very bright idea or you haven't checked some of the things I asked you to check this has just got very weird. Some proper debugging needed.

by stephen difc -

I emailed the host asking has anything changed and if the changes can be rolled back. What else can I do right now?

In reply to stephen difc

by Howard Miller -

Can you post your config.php file here please? Don't forget to remove the db password (but don't change anything else).

Also post the contents of the file version.php from the 'root' of your Moodle folder. It's quite short so you can copy and paste into the reply

In reply to stephen difc

by Ken Task -

Probably should let Howard have this fun all by himself, but ... for what it's worth ... 2 cents maybe.

Right now, I'd say nothing ... until you hear back from hosting provider.

Gathered from the information shared:

difc.ie
is on a remotely hosted shared system
there are 10 other domains on the same web server.
That fact could be the reason that a higher version of PHP is not available.

difc.ie is limited to 3 databases for the single host (from posting).

Are the databases given un-limited resources, etc. (doubt they would be on a shared system)?  Are there caps on the databases … i.e., restrictions - memory usage, number of tables, number of hits, etc.

There is one DB in use for the web site that sits in front - or so I gather ... leaving 2 available.  One was for the 1.9 Moodle.   Is that database the same as it was say a month ago?

The /moodle/ is a 1.9.x. (at least appears to be).

How was the update attempted?   Specific steps.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Howard Miller -

Ken... if you've got any bright ideas let's have them. I'm at a loss big grin

If I understand correctly there was no upgrade - the 1.9 site "just stopped working". Which I refute, but anyway... The 2.0 site was an attempt to (let's say) diagnose the problem but had the same issue.

I think you're right. There's some underlying resource issue or something has simply changed/broken. Although everything I could test (cron, images etc) seems to work so it's an odd one.

by stephen difc -

Thanks for your help in this. Maybe the best thing is to wait to see what the hosting provider says. I sure hope they did something that can be undone.

In reply to stephen difc

by stephen difc -

BTW I installed 1.9 and if I log out I can't log back in. So I can install and be logged in at the end of the installation but never again.

In reply to stephen difc

by Ken Task -

This new 1.9 install ... how did you install it?  same server? or a different server?  If these things are happening on the same hosting server it's got to be a problem what you can't fix - and no one here can either.

Sorry, Stephen, but this is kinda like saying the 'thingy is broke!  How can I fix the thingy?' and never telling those that you ask any details about the 'thingy'!  Never had the ability to do Vulcan mind melds! :|

Advise you wait and hear back from provider before one makes it worse!

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to stephen difc

by Ken Task -

Ok, I'm a die hard! :|  

Depending upon the version of 1.9.x you attempted to install, am wondering if (given the description of the issue with the newest install) it's not related to 'sessions' recording.   Failed session recording would exhibit no errors even with debugging turned on IF the hosting provider has things configured to kill items and return no errors (since you are on hosting that is shared, that is a possibility).  Another possibility is limitations on the DB itself ... size/number of queries to it ... etc. ... in the case of a shared system with multiple sites, there could be a cap and the account, having gone over that cap, is denied any more usage - like a file quota.

So in the 1.9.x that is not functioning, check it's data folder (path can be seen in the config.php file for the site) to see if there is a 'sessions' directory or folder there.   If not, create one.   Permissions and ownerships the same as the other directories/folders in moodledata.

Then edit your config.php file and add the following line:

$CFG->dbsessions=0;

Be sure to include the ';' at the end of that line.

What that does ... it turns off logging sessions to the database for the site and will use the 'sessions' folder in moodledata to record session information - small 1K files.

If the site has been used for years the tables may have grown very large and some might even be corrupted and in need of repair.  There is a sessions table - mdl_sessions.   That could result in moodle suddenly 'stop working'.   Do you have any mysql tool that can check the status of the DB and tables for repair?    This 'fix' might help one login, but there could be other issues.

That's my final ... last 'gasp' at this!   Will be interested in what you hear from provider, though.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by stephen difc -
Yes, I tried the $CFG->dbsessions=0; just like the original poster did, and the session does works. I also did a DB check and all items came out as "OK".
In reply to stephen difc

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Stephen, I'll give you a few things to think about.

You say that you have installed 2.0, reinstalled 1.9, etc.  I hope that you are not doing these all on the same database and the same moodledata.  This might really mess things up.

Also, if your original 1.9 has not been messed around with and clobbered, you can consider changing the admin password of the admin right in the database table. If this seems possible, I can probably dig out the details of how to do this (I only do this one a year or so.)

Since you have a hosted server, put pressure on the admins to get your moodle(s) working.

Consider being very detailed and precise about everything you have done.  Include the version of php, moodle, and mySQL (or other database).  The more precise you can be, the more helpful the folks here on moodle.org can be.

I have had hosted accounts before.  The admins can change things without letting you know.  Howard is right, something had to change.

Do you have daily backups?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by stephen difc -

Yes, I'm keeping the moodledata folders and sql databases separate. I'm waiting to hear back from the hosting provider.

by Ken Task -

Am out of any ideas also!   Can't help if there is not clearer specifics and answers to questions, no matter how far fetched they might appear to be! (IMHO!)

Now I know it has been advised not to share the URL to sites as a matter of security, but that's just crazy to me ... if the site is broke/old etc. it's a) not working and hosting providers shuffle support off onto community b) if it is in-secure it's just a matter of time before it does get hacked and not by someone who is an (and they do exist) 'ethical hacker' (such as one might find in these forums).

I've never seen a site 'just stop working' without a reason.  And while restoring a backup might be the quick fix, it's just a matter of time before it 'just stops working' again - actually, I'd be kinda surprised if the restored backup works.

I suspect, since it's on remotely hosted shared, the web site above the moodle was done with a 'site builder' ... which probably has very few requirements for PHP/MySQL (ATutor, BTW, falls into that category).   Adding Moodle 1.9 to such a site might be doable cause that version was not very hungry resource wise.   A version 2 however ... over the edge.

One piece of advice to offer, however ... think I'd talk to school officials concerning this situation and see what couldn't be done about granting someone trusted access (that's not permanent).   In this day and age, we ALL need, at times, technical assistance of a higher level.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

by stephen difc -

Atutor is like moodle (free learning platform).

In reply to stephen difc

by stephen difc -

Do these error message mean anything to anyone, like "PHP Warning:  include() [<a href='function.include'>function.include</a>]: Filename cannot be empty in /home/difcie/public_html/moodle/lib/weblib.php on line 3079"????