Student SignUp Scenario

Student SignUp Scenario

by Seth Mengal -
Number of replies: 17

Hi people.

I have a course, where i have ten sections, as topis to understand, like fractions, subtraction, addition etc.and as being it a Self-Paced course. To go to Section 2, a quiz inside section 1 is taken and  so on.

But, how can i make force changes from Manager/Teacher point. Lets say i want to Enroll a student just for Subtraction, Addition.

Saying that, i want to enroll him on the first 2 topics, then the last 2 topics. and no topics in between. And other scenarios like that?

It is something like a force-progression in the Auto-Progression sceanrio. 

--- I have been under 

Restrict access, but i am getting confused,

Thanks for the help

EDeQUAL

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Seth Mengal

Re: Student SignUp Scenario

by Sakshi Goel -

Hi Seth

you can enroll a student for the whole course but enrolling for different section is not possible. You can use moodle advanced conditional access to put conditions when a student will able to view a particular section.

Please refer the following links http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Conditional_activities

http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Restrict_access_settings

If you elaborate more with screenshot what you want to achieve it will helps us to understand it more clearly.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sakshi Goel

by Seth Mengal -

Hi Sakshi, thanks for this.

I figured out if i add a Custom Field during Sign UP, and select a number of Items(Topics) inside a Selection Box, and add Restrict_access_settings when the Field has the name of the section. Then the section appears.

It sounds fine, and when i tried. I figured out i can not select multiple options during the "Custom Field Form" sad Now i am stuck again... I would love if we can work on this to figure it out.

Have a look what i am trying to do. smile

Attachment c (1).png
Attachment c.png
In reply to Seth Mengal

by Sakshi Goel -

Hi Seth

You want to restrict a particular section in the course until a user not complete some activities in the course or a set of activities or a whole section. You can put conditions or restrict settings on every activity/resource or section.

Which moodle version you are using

In reply to Sakshi Goel

by Seth Mengal -

Hi,

Yes i am aware, thats what i am trying to acheieve. But the Custom Fields in User Registration cannot be Multi Selected, have a look at my settings below,

Now, when i make the Custom Field, Multiple or Checkbox, CANNOT  select multiple, which will make it very long and could cause problems when generating a huge course. Making that many Signup field would create a big problem.

Attachment c (2).png
Attachment c.png
In reply to Seth Mengal

by Sakshi Goel -

Hi

In the user custom profile fields there is no multichoice field type in moodle core. So you can't select multiple or not even can create a multichoice field. So need to concern with moodle developer to develop new fields types.

In reply to Seth Mengal

by Sakshi Goel -

Hi Seth

Please ignore my previous post because i have found a workaround for it.

Please follow the steps:

• First create a new profile category suppose with name topics allocated (or nay other name something descriptive)
  • Then create new profile fields, field type checkbox and push it under the profile category which you created above. (from setting page choose category name 'Topic allocated'  from drop down)

3. Then got o your course page and do the following settings in the edit summary which is shown in screenshot

You will see a summary showing like this in the course page as a teacher

4. After that create a new student and don't tick add field in the profile page and save it now login as a same student in new browser you will see that a student unable to access that whole topic or week section.

In reply to Sakshi Goel

by Seth Mengal -

Hi this seems to do the trick, Lemme try!!

but i am just curious, imagine every Course having 13 topics, and have 10 courses,

I shall be making 130 Fields..........

I think getting a developer configure Multiple Selection would do the trick. Do u know any who could help us out?

In reply to Seth Mengal

by lutfun shorna -

hi to all, i tried  a lot for fix my on eproblem which till now i am not able to resolve. i assign a rule for teacher and i want that teacher can create modify all the course which is normal.but when i looged in as a teacher i just able to see the course which i create from my admin pannel but as a teacher i am not able to modify or configure the course.please see the attachment.in my teacher site i am not able to see this page? please help me.

Attachment course.png
In reply to Seth Mengal

by Farhan Karmali -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hello,

Have you considered using Groupings and Available for Group Members only?

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Available_for_group_members_only

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Groupings

I am sorry if that this is not relevant.

As for making it work on the conditional activities the way you want, you could maybe start a tracker and see if someone develops it. I would have love to do it, but I am tied up with exams till the end of this month. I ll still see what I can do , this looks interesting.

In reply to Farhan Karmali

by Seth Mengal -

As far as Grouping is concerned, its up on Activity level, and i need it on Topic Level. I have done a lot of thing.

Like the lady above helped me out, i made checkboxes which has done the deal, but the only problem now is i have make almost 200 custom fields of checkboxes :/

Farhan, could u guide me where is the option to make the option of custom field multiselect?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2407284/how-to-get-multiple-selected-values-of-select-box-in-php

I kinda have instructions how to do it.

In reply to Seth Mengal

by Farhan Karmali -

If you are comfortable with coding and don't mind making changes to the core files , you have to alter login/signup_form.php to add a line like. I don't think this is possible from noodle front end user profile fields. 

$select = $mform->addElement('select', 'colors', get_string('colors'), array('red', 'blue', 'green'), $attributes);
$select->setMultiple(true);

by Seth Mengal -

Oh sounds easy, yeah i am comfortable with the codes.

So this will even add it to the database and all?

by Seth Mengal -

i think the code under

//user/profile/lib.php

is the one to look for farhan, if we can change something here?

In reply to Seth Mengal

by Farhan Karmali -

I am sorry for the late reply.

Firstly you need to add the lines I mentioned to the login/signup_form.php file for it to show up on the sign up form.

You would need to add a column in the table mdl_user , the name of the column would be same as the id of the element you added in the form. That should ideally do the trick. let me know if it doesn't work.