Profile pictures loads very slow on Moodle 2.2

Profile pictures loads very slow on Moodle 2.2

by Mats Johansson -
Number of replies: 2

I have Moodle 2.2 on Ubuntu 64-bit 11.10. I have two virtual servers, one with apache/php and the other with mysql. Data directory is on a nfs-share on the SAN´s NAS (EMC high end SAN). I have quite a lot of power. Three strong hosts with a total of 72 GB RAM. Apache server has 12 GB RAM, mysql has 7 GB RAM. Lots of cpu cores and nic´s.

I have a few thousand users and everything has worked perfectly until some weeks ago. Suddenly very long page load times - occasionally, but often enough... Especially (pages with) profile pictures.

Could it be a session issue? I have tried to change session data directory in php.ini to a local disk but it wont work - it only shows in (phpinfo) master section. Local section still shows config.php´s moodle data directory. I have set $CFG->respectsessionsettings = true in config.php.

Any idea how to solve this performance issue? Or the cause?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mats Johansson

Re: Profile pictures loads very slow on Moodle 2.2

by Dan Poltawski -

Hi Mats,

Have you tried isolating it? If you try just loading a profile picture on its own and not any other page resources?

Profile pictures can often be the last assets to be loaded by the browser, so it could be the interaction between all things happeneing at once. It would be good to try and just load the profile picture outside of any other page loading to see if its related.

(Also, profile pictures are one of the few visible resources that might be easy visible from moodledata, so it could be a general issue with the nfs store).

In reply to Dan Poltawski

Svar: Re: Profile pictures loads very slow on Moodle 2.2

by Mats Johansson -

Update: Yes, I´ve just tried to do that. And the page with just one profile picture loads really slow. But I also noticed that some profile pictures loads instantly. Only some (most) loads slow.

I have the same issue if I´m alone on the server or if there are 1000 users logged in...