Delete link hidden after maxeditingtime

Delete link hidden after maxeditingtime

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
Number of replies: 1
Moodle 1.5 now does not display a delete link for one's own post after the maximum allowed time for editing the post (i.e. a "Delete" link does not appear unless the "Edit" link also appears). One can still delete the post (assuming there are no replies) by creating a url manually.  This is a change from version 1.4.4

Is this a bug or a feature?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

Re: Delete link hidden after maxeditingtime

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
I realized that I was mistaken about when this feature was introduced. It seems to have been put in at the time of the 1.4 release in Aug. 2004 and that there was a discussion about it here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=5367#53211

While I do see the pros for this feature, I disagree that this is something which should be imposed - I think it should be a configurable option. Let me just mention two instances here on moodle.org when I found it advisable to delete my posts.
  1. Somebody who was having a problem with the uploadusers script posted an attachment with sensitive information while seeking help with the problem. After I replied and solved the problem, we both deleted our posts to protect this information.
  2. Today I offered a solution for somebody, then realized that there was a much better solution. While I could have left the old post in the forum and then offered the better solution in another post, I thought it was better to delete the old post in case somebody hastily searching for such information later might be misled by the old post.
Let me just add that even if one thinks that users should not be allowed to delete posts in general after the editing period has expired, there should be a link to send a message to the teacher asking him/her to delete the message in case there are exceptional circumstances.